We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Drowning at The Sinks

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Topic
Possible Drowning at The Sinks

Just read this short article on a possible drowning late this afternoon in the park at the Sinks on Little River Road/73.

No details on what happened yet, but it is a reminder of how careful we need to be in the park rivers.

knoxnews.com/kns/…00.html

Great Smoky...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible Drowning at The Sinks

keep us updated.

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible Drowning at The Sinks

Hiedi,

Please keep us all informed. I hope it turns out not to be a drowning.

Letha

Pigeon Forge, TN
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible Drowning at The Sinks

Our prayers are with the young man that was found dead (and his family & friends) by the rescue squad just past midnight near 'The Sinks'. Amen on that 'need for being extra careful in the park rivers Smokiesgrl'

I would expect that some of the spots that folks have chosen to jump or dive in at times before, may be much shallower than usual, the streams here in town appear to be MUCH lower than usual.

May God Bless,

steve&carolyn

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,694 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible Drowning at The Sinks

I have gone swimming many times at the Sinks area, but I was never so foolish as to try jumping off those rocks.

This area is fun, but very dangerous.

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible Drowning at The Sinks

Oh I so hate he died. How old was he? I know in my youth I did many foolish things not thinking about what the end result would be.

Illinois
Level Contributor
942 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible Drowning at The Sinks

He was 24 and from Maryville. He was scooting along the rocks above the waterfall, tried to stand, slipped on the rocks and was carried over the falls, a 12 foot drop, and was wedged into a v-shaped submurged log, while the white water and undercurrents kept him pinned below the surface.

My prayers go out to his family..I know what they must be going through, my 17 year old son was also a victim of a swimming accident several years ago.....loosing a child, at any age is devastating.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible Drowning at The Sinks

Here is the rest of this very sad story:

knoxnews.com/kns/…00.html

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible Drowning at The Sinks

Oh man. This is such sad news. I really hate this for the his family and friends.

9. Re: Possible Drowning at The Sinks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 04:18