We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antelope Canyon: A Comparison

Which Page hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
322 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Antelope Canyon: A Comparison

My family will be driving from the Grand Canyon (south) the last Friday of July to Page for one night. We're a group of 6, 2 adults, 4 kids (ages 9,11,13,15) and we'd like to visit Antelope Canyon. We'll be leaving the GC in the morning and hope to get to Page in time for the 1:00 or 3:00 tour. I've searched the forum to learn the differences between the Upper and Lower canyon:

Cost: Upper-slightly more expensive than Lower for the guided tour. It seems like you could also pay the permit fee and then do the Lower tour on your own (correct?), however we'd miss out on learning about the canyon, culture, etc. from the guide.

Ride to canyon entrance: Upper-less bumpy. Lower-more bumpy.

Tour within canyon: Upper-flat, easy. Lower-requires climbing up ladders, etc.

Crowds: Upper-more crowded than Lower. It sounds like the number of people permitted to go into the canyon is controlled for the Upper canyon, is this the same for the Lower? In the summer, is the crowd so large that it diminishes the experience? Would it be best to visit the Lower canyon to avoid the crowd?

Is the Lower canyon more fun for kids? It seems like it would be, especially after riding in a car for a few hours. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,975 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antelope Canyon: A Comparison

Since you're traveling and visiting as a family unit, I'd recommend the upper canyon for the guide and info that you'll benefit from. For kids, there won't be much difference. Running and playing is discouraged. This is an opportunityy to tour a special place that is unique in its shapes and form, but this is also Navajo land and you should be respectful.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antelope Canyon: A Comparison

In your case with the kids I also suggest the Upper canyon. There is very little difference with the 1 and 3pm tour except there is less people later in the day.

Here are some pictures of Upper AC

pbase.com/dragonflylady/upper_antelope_canyon

While as a photographer I love lower AC with your kids they might get boured and running around (kicking up dust) loud noises ect is definately not a good idea as it disrupts other visitors.

Consider Lower AC like being in a museum where you have to use your indoor voices ect. Upper AC is more of a highlight tour.

Lower AC has a couple of very large ladders and is a much longer canyon to walk through and be kind of rough for those with knee issues. Also some of the places you walk through are very small and can be a little difficult for some.

Just a few things you might want to consider.

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
322 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antelope Canyon: A Comparison

Thank you for your replies. Dragonflylady, your photos are incredible - we're looking forward to our visit.

4. Re: Antelope Canyon: A Comparison

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 16:39