We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan!!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help me plan!!

Hello. Travelling from Uk to Vegas for our 6th visit. We really want to do something a bit different this time so have decided to hire a car for 3 days and take a little road trip to antelope canyon. On route we would like to pass through Zion National Park (hope that’s correct) is that fairly straight forward to drive through? Also wouldn’t mind stoping at a shooting range as this is something I haven’t done before... any recommendations? When we get to Page are we better to do upper or lower tour? Or both? Can we drive to horseshoe bend and hike to the best view or again are we better to book a tour? Also is rainbow bridge easily accessible? Should we book these in advance? We will be doing this the last week in November. Any tips, pointers or places of interest along the route would be greatly recieved :) x

18 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,744 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan!!

By 3 days, do you mean 4 nights? Or will you have two nights on the road? It will make a difference in how much time you actually have for these destinations.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan!!

Probably just 2 nights but 3 full days.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan!!

I’ve just seen that we can hire a camper from Jucy so have decided that will suit us better. Any advice on Camp stops would be great also 👍🏼

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,744 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan!!

I don't know that traveling by a Juicy van gives you that much flexibility. You still have to be able to find a campground to put that van every night unless you are will do to disbursed or boondooking camping.

In the town of Springdale, there's the Zion Canyon Campground and RV park. There are also the two campgrounds inside Zion. For Page, look at the campground at Wahweap Marina, Lake Powell Resort.

Here's what you can do in your time frame:

Day 1: Early departure from Las Vegas to Springdale, Utah/Zion. 3 hour drive, no stops. You'll have some time this afternoon to ride the mandatory shuttle in to the main Zion Canyon, get off at some of the viewpoints and easy hikes/walks. Overnight in Springdale.

Day 2: Drive to Page AZ, 3.5 hour drive. Schedule Antelope Canyon tour (either upper or lower, you don't need to do both) for that afternoon. Overnight.

Day 3: Drive to Horseshoe Bend first thing in AM. Plan on about 1.5 hours for the hike to the Bend and viewpoint. You don't need to book a tour for this. Then drive back to Las Vegas. 5 hour drive, no stops.

Rainbow Bridge is only accessible by boat. You either pay for the commercial boat tour that takes about 6 hours, or rent a speed boat from one of the marinas. That trip would take about 4 hours or so. But it would also be rather cold in an open boat on Lake Powell in November. You would need a second night in Page if you want to go to Rainbow Bridge.

Edited: 13 August 2018, 06:25
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan!!

Check the terms of the rental. I haven't done Jucy specifically but it usually isn't billed by nights but days - so that a 24 hour period or less is 2 days. You won't get a full day in the day you pick it up, unless you are picking it up the night before. They typically do an orientation with you with this type of rental. You don't just walk in and pick it up like a rental car. I'm only mentioning so that you aren't surprised when you arrive there or see the total.

Do whichever of the Antelope Canyons that has a reserved time slot that suits your schedule.

Horseshoe bend isn't really a hike but a walk up and incline and then down to the edge. No reason to take a tour - it is the same amount of walking. Expect to wait for a parking spot. Fit this in either before or after your AC tour.

Rainbow Bridge is an all day tout once you consider getting there, checking in, taking the boat ride, etc... You will need to do it on your full day on your full day in Page.

You don't have time to do anything significant in Zion.

Gun ranges usually require you to complete paperwork, identify yourself and watch a safety video. Not complicated but can be time consuming. You are better off doing this in Vegas rather than using up your precious time for this short road trip.

You will have less time then you think you will. In general, there isn't gypsy/wild style camping wherever you feel like it. You will need to be in approved spots or a campground. Much like an RV rental even with the camper van conversions, it isn't likely to be less expensive once you consider all the fees, additional fuel and campground costs.

Edited: 13 August 2018, 06:31
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan!!

Thank you both, that all is really informative. Yes we also aren’t allowed in Uk to just park up so will definitely book ahead camping spots. It will just save some pennies with regards to hire car and hotel. It looks like it’s coming up around $225 for the 3 days. So the money we save can pay for the park fees/tour etc. I’ll have to spend lots of time planning to get timings right. I’ll cut out the shooting, like you say I can do that in Vegas. Also rainbow bridge will need to be missed on this occasion. Are the drive timings right on google maps?

Edited: 13 August 2018, 06:47
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,111 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan!!

Good advice already.

Do your shooting in LV. Book hotel/campsite reservations ASAP. Don’t be surprised to find most places sold out. You’re traveling around the Thanksgiving Holiday. One slot canyon tour is sufficient. You’d need 3 nights at Page to include a Rainbow Bridge Trip. Skip it.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me plan!!

The more I’m reading I’m thinking it’s one or the other so maybe head straight to Lake Powell and save Zion for our next visit. 🤔 I’ll get it all booked this week to make sure we don’t miss out. Thank you all 👍🏼

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,111 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me plan!!

The internet has given Page an economic boost like no other I’ve ever seen before. It’s really a minor destination, other than a few great photo ops at Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend and the expansive man made Lake Powell. Given a choice between Zions and Page, Zions should be the clear winner. The only downside is that Springdale hasn’t kept up with the increased demand for housing as Page has.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me plan!!

Ooh that’s interesting! Ok maybe I’ll look more at Zion. Cheers 👍🏼

Reply to: Help me plan!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted