We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! I think I’ve overscheduled our day in Page.

Indiana
Level Contributor
81 posts
45 reviews
Help! I think I’ve overscheduled our day in Page.

My husband I are driving from Grand Canyon North Rim next Friday morning to Page. We plan to be on the road from GC by 8:30. We’re staying overnight and driving back to Las Vegas for a late afternoon flight on Saturday morning . My husband really wants to see Glen Canyon Dam (the tour) and I made a reservation for a tour of Upper Antelope at 3 on Friday. Then I made a reservation for lower Antelope tour at 7am Saturday. Then I read a review about kayaking Lake Powell and doing a bit of hiking in the far end of Antelope Canyon. So I rented kayaks for Friday We also want to see Horseshoe Bend.

I am thinking we get to Page, tour the dam then go get our kayaks and go to the far end of Antelope (we’re experienced paddlers) and skip our upper Antelope tour. I’m not fond of crowds and I’d rather have fewer people even if it’s a bit less spectacular. Then on Saturday we’ll do our lower Antelope tour and head back to Las Vegas. We’ll fit in Horseshoe Bend when we get a chance.

Any thoughts? Am I missing anything I’ll tegret? Thanks for your help!

5 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Help! I think I’ve overscheduled our day in Page.

You are correct in that you don't need to do both canyons and that HSB can be fit in whenever you find the time. Don't count on Lower being "less crowded" as it will still be crowded although a 7am tour will mean there are fewer people in front of you. Be aware that there isn't just one tour group for each time slot. If you are basing the less crowded on reviews, check the date of the reviews and if it is advice ascertain that the person has actually been to the canyon in the past year or so.

Depending on the time of your flight, I'm not sure I would do a slot canyon tour before heading back to Vegas to catch a flight. It sometimes takes them a bit of time in the AM to get organized and the tours to get moving. I wouldn't count on leaving the slot canyon until 9. It may be earlier but I wouldn't want to be cutting it too close to your flight. If you were just needing to get back to Vegas for something else (ex/ just dinner reservations) I wouldn't be worried about it.

Indiana
Level Contributor
81 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Help! I think I’ve overscheduled our day in Page.

Thank you! I meant that kayaking and doing the very end of Antelope Canyon would have fewer people than the upper Antelope Tour.

We’ll double check our flight and travel times that day. We don’t leave until 4 so I think we should be ok even if we don’t get going until 9. I may check to see if the 6:30 tour still has openings.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,866 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Help! I think I’ve overscheduled our day in Page.

What time is your flight out of Las Vegas? You have a good 5 hour drive there from Page. That’s without any stops whatsoever.

You may not be able to hike at the end of Antelope Canyon. It’s been awhile since, I’ve been there. But I clearly remember a lot of flotsam and debris at the end of the canyon.

I think it’s a better plan to skip the 3 pm Antelope Canyon tour. You may have to skip going to Horseshoe Bend depending on how th 7AM tour goes. Also the logical route back to Las Vegas from Page is west on 89 to Kanab. You’d be doing some backtracking.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,892 posts
91 reviews
4. Re: Help! I think I’ve overscheduled our day in Page.

The AC kayaking is in the open canyon as it enters Lake Powell not a slot canyon. This may be one of the things you may want to skip.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,354 posts
250 reviews
5. Re: Help! I think I’ve overscheduled our day in Page.

You’ve definitely planned too much. Skip the kayak. It doesn’t take you to Antelope Slot Canyon. It’s merely the end of the wash. One slot tour is plenty. HSB and the dam tour will fill your available time.

I never plan to drive a long distance (like 5-6 hours) on a flight day. Too many potential problems.

Reply to: Help! I think I’ve overscheduled our day in Page.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted