We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I or don't I need reservations to see Antelope Canyon?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
197 posts
22 reviews
Do I or don't I need reservations to see Antelope Canyon?

My friends and I will be in Page for the weekend of September 22 and 23, 2018. We are coming there from the Grand Canyon South Rim. I understand that we can only see the canyon with a tour guide.

One piece of advice I get is that you absolutely must reserve in advance to be sure to get in.

The other piece of advice I get is that reservations are not necessary, just show up at one of the tour companies or at the visitors center. Is it less expensive to leave from the visitors center?

Experts, what do you recommend about reserving tours in advance? It will be a weekend, so I imagine tours will be in more demand.

One more question. As I understand, the tours of Upper and Lower Antelope Canyons are entirely separate. You cannot book one tour to see both canyons. Is that right? Thanks.

10 replies to this topic
Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
156 reviews
1. Re: Do I or don't I need reservations to see Antelope Canyon?

Grand Canyon South Rim is a very easy park to self-tour. All of the viewpoints on the Desert View/East Rim Drive, except for Yaki Point, are open to private vehicles. You take this route from Grand Canyon South Rim to Page, so you can do a good chunk of your Grand Canyon sightseeing on the way from point A to point B. The Hermit's Rest/West Rim is closed to private vehicles. Those viewpoints are served by a free shuttle line that does not require reservations. The thing that MUST be reserved in advance at the Grand Canyon is lodging. It's always most desirable to stay inside the park, but if you haven't booked rooms there already, they're probably sold out. Tusayan/GC Village South will be your next best option. https:/…

As for Antelope Canyon, YES, you absolutely must have a reservation to tour it. There are no tour companies that do both Upper and Lower, mainly because it's not necessary to tour both branches of the canyon to have a satisfying visit to Page. If you're physically up for doing Lower, go ahead and book it. Video walk-through ->: https:/… If anyone in your party has any mobility issues, then Upper is where you'll want to go. If you find that Antelope Canyon tours are sold out, which is entirely possible at this point, there are lots of alternate slot canyons in the area that are just as beautiful but far less crowded. https:/…

Good luck and have fun!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
197 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Do I or don't I need reservations to see Antelope Canyon?

Thank you! We are seniors but in good shape. However, I think Upper will be fine for us. I see there are some spaces available on the Antelope Slot Canyon Tours, so I will go ahead and grab them. Your advice is VERY helpful.

Thanks for the tips on Grand Canyon. Trying to get things nailed down as far as itinerary for this trip which is Bryce, GC South, Page and Zion. We already have accommodations reserved.

Here's my plan for the GC - Page part of the trip.Leave GC on Saturday morning, after two nights there. Take a leisurely drive to Page, stopping along the way. Maybe see sunset at Horseshoe Bend on Saturday evening. Tour of Upper Antelope at noon on Sunday, then depart for Zion, seeing something else along the way. Don't know what that will be but we can figure that out.

Again, may thanks.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
156 reviews
3. Re: Do I or don't I need reservations to see Antelope Canyon?

You might want to try and catch sunrise at Horseshoe Bend instead. Parking there is a huge mess during the daytime, sunset included. Sunrise is at ~ 6:00 AM, sunset is ~ 6:15 PM.

Time permitting, on the way to Zion, you might stop by the “New Wave,” The Grand Staircase-Escalante Visitors Center in Big Water, or the Paria Rimrocks/Toadstools Trail. https:/…

London, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Do I or don't I need reservations to see Antelope Canyon?

I am also really confused because I just read a tripadvisor review saying this:

“Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon

5 of 5 bubblesReviewed May 19, 2015

They are Beautiful! Here are a couple of tips you should know before you go:

1) Do NOT purchase tickets through any tours. The canyons are in Navajo Nation and fees are paid directly to them. The tours leaving out of page charge fees on top of that.

You can go directly to the canyons and buy tickets right there. The Navajo tours leave about every hour.

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
5. Re: Do I or don't I need reservations to see Antelope Canyon?

That review is 3 years old. The Page area has seen enormous growth in visitation due to social media. Both Antelope canyons routinely sell out, so book a tour as soon as your dates are confirmed. Several options are here. https://antelopecanyon.az

Edited: 21 August 2018, 09:20
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Do I or don't I need reservations to see Antelope Canyon?

Sophie,

That was 2015, times have changed. You want to reserve the tour directly with the tour company before you arrive

https:/…

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,734 posts
90 reviews
7. Re: Do I or don't I need reservations to see Antelope Canyon?

Neither sunrise or sunset at Horseshoe Bend is a very good time to be there. The river and canyon will be in shadow. Mid-morning to mid-afternoon is best. Do sunset at Wahweap Overlook west of the dam.

"Just show up" is no longer advice for the Antelope Canyons. You may even experience waits with reservations.

Edited: 21 August 2018, 11:30
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Do I or don't I need reservations to see Antelope Canyon?

If you just want to see Horseshoe Bend and aren't there as a semi or professional photographer, K-bot has the right idea. Parking has been crazy this year - even with the new parking recommendations, bus requirements and outside shuttles. If you want a quick visit, go as early as possible in the day.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
156 reviews
9. Re: Do I or don't I need reservations to see Antelope Canyon?

If you're not keen on going to Horseshoe Bend at sunrise -- and Bob B does have a valid point about it being in shadow at that time -- then you might consider going there on a shuttle with Horseshoe Bend Slot Canyon Tours, which run hourly from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. They're not free, they cost $30/head round-trip, and reservations are strongly suggested. They go to the overlook via the Navajo Indian Tribal Land holdings to the South. You can also do a horseback ride with Horseshoe Bend Trail Rides, which also go to the overlook from the same direction (both companies are Navajo owned). Another option is to fly over it in an airplane or helicopter. https:/…

Edited: 22 August 2018, 07:07
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
50 reviews
10. Re: Do I or don't I need reservations to see Antelope Canyon?

Just returned from the trip. Page is fantastic. Please reserve the antelope canyon tours they were turning people away as it was fully booked.

If have trouble going down a ladder, please choose Upper Antelope Canyon tour.

We did a half day river boar tour down the river from Glen Canyon Dam through horse shoe bend to the ferry near marble canyon. It was fantastic. If you have time, i highly recommend that tour through www.riveradventures.com

as suggested, i recommend the wahweap overlook for sunset while looks over antelope island as well

Edited: 23 August 2018, 05:31
Reply to: Do I or don't I need reservations to see Antelope Canyon?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted