We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Float tour in april

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Float tour in april

Has anyone done the float tour in April? Considering the half day tournthat starts at 11am with 2 kids at the end of April. Will it be too cold? Do passengers get wet?

6 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Float tour in april

I haven't done the float tour in April but have gone fishing in March/April using the same route that the float tour uses. Usually by 11am it is pleasant even on a cold day since more of the river is in the sun. There is a big difference between the beginning of the month and the end of the month.

By the end of April, it is more of an issue of it being too warm on the float tour. You are just floating, the raft is moving very slowly and there are no rapids so you don't get soaked. I suppose you might get wet from a passing boat's wake but the boat traffic isn't heavy and they aren't going terribly fast so it is possible but not likely. It is fairly easy to layer up if you are going at the beginning of the month and think you will be cold.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,111 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Float tour in april

April can be cold. You wouldn’t get wet under normal conditions, but wind and rain can happen. You’ll step out of the boat into the river at the halfway stop.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Float tour in april

I've done the float trip in April, and temperatures on the river were comfortably balmy seeing as though, as dbmove indicates, the river is in the sun during the time of day you're on it.

That said, April is notorious for having a last snowstorm or two move through Northern AZ and Southern UT, and that can render the float trip somewhat uncomfortable. Winds can kick up small riffles in the water, which can splash you a little bit and get you wet and cold. Dress in layers that you can easily remove or put back on if need be, as well as sun protection (hat, suncreen, etc.). I'd say go ahead and book it, then keep an eye on the weather as your trip date gets closer. https:/… If it looks like weather is going to get cruddy on the day of your trip, then call Wilderness River Adventures and see if you can cancel or rebook. They're usually pretty understanding about that sort of thing.

Be sure you plan on touring Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend while you're here. https:/…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Float tour in april

Thanks for that advice. I may book it and watch the weather. There is a cancellation fee of $10 per person if I do cancel. We are going the last week in April (float tour April 25th) so hopefully there will not be snow then. Everything I am reading is that If it snows in April it tends to be early April. Looks like the avg temp last week of April is usually in the 70's. Last year it was in the 80's.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,377 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Float tour in april

We did it in April, middle of month, and we were fine. The weather was pretty warm but you never can tell.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,111 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Float tour in april

Doubtful that you’d see snow that late in April. But that doesn’t preclude cold and uncomfortable conditions on the river.

Reply to: Float tour in april
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted