We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairbanks for one day.

Omaha
Level Contributor
125 posts
7 reviews
Fairbanks for one day.

We will be flying into Fairbanks next month as part of a Princess cruise. We will be there one day early and have accomodations at the Princess Riverside Lodge. I am wondering what there is to do around Fairbanks for this one day? Also how close we will be to restaruants and grocery shopping? And since we will be without a car, is there a bus service running?

Thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,139 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: Fairbanks for one day.

I would consider renting a car for the day for the flexibility it will give you. You could do the Riverboat Discovery, go the Museum at the University, walk around Creamer's field, ice cream at Hotlicks, etc. But yes, Fairbanks does have a bus. Princess isn't really close to any restaurants or shopping - other than their own. :)

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
89 reviews
2. Re: Fairbanks for one day.

Great suggestions but what are your intersts? I would go hiking

Omaha
Level Contributor
125 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Fairbanks for one day.

Based on the above response I think we will rent a car and see some museums, Creamer's field, TransAtlantic pipeline, etc. Thanks for the suggestion.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
89 reviews
4. Re: Fairbanks for one day.

Trans-Alaska Pipeline exhibit is located outside of the city. It is not far away from the road to Chena Hot Springs.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Fairbanks for one day.

Riverboat Discovery is one of the longest running tours in Alaska and one of the most memorable days I've had in my years of travel here. I highly recommend it as an excursion.

Iowa
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Fairbanks for one day.

What was so special about the Riverboat Discovery tour? We will be spending a few days in Fairbanks Aug. 2013 and I am researching things to do also. Since we will be doing two boat tours in Whiter and Seward not sure about doing another other than most likely completely different area and scenery - ?

Thank you for your time.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,224 posts
45 reviews
7. Re: Fairbanks for one day.

Riverboat Discovery is more about the history of Alaska's interior and not really about "the boat ride". You can read more about it on their website. Here is my personal travel review (with photos) on our experience back in Sept 2010: igougo.com/review-r1378248-Entertaining_Tour… .

8. Re: Fairbanks for one day.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2013, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Fairbanks