We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chena Ice Museum

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chena Ice Museum

Hey, does anyone have anything to say about Chena Ice Museum? I thought it will be a cool place to visit, but I v been reading all the postings in the Alaska forums and noone has mentioned anything. Is this place worth the visit?

Thanks for any input.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Chena Ice Museum

Yea, it's very cool. But uh, it melts during the summer.

Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Chena Ice Museum

I read that they built it to last through the summer. I know that it melted last summer and they have redone and are open again. anyone know anything?

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Chena Ice Museum

You should email them to see what their expectations are for this summer. They built it to last last summer also but it didn't make it. Of course, I'm sure they learned from last summer how to improve for this summer. Either way, it is an interesting place and worth the visit if you are coming to Fairbanks anyway. The drive out there (about 60 miles from Fairbanks) is pretty and the hotsprings are fun. They have yerts to rent which is a neat alternative to cabins. Have fun.

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chena Ice Museum

I have serious doubts it will make it through the summer, maybe through June but with temeratures in the 80's and 90's by July how can it last. I went in March and it was really a neat place.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,259 posts
5,014 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chena Ice Museum

If you want to go to an Ice Museum, there is a pretty cool one in Fairbanks.

fairbanks-alaska.com/fairbanks-ice-museum.htm

Its open 7 days a week from about 10-9 (depending on how many people show up).

Great film about ice carving.....

They have several rooms with really cool ice sculptures

(I keep a picture on my desk and work mates continue to find it amazing).

They also let you try your hand at carving (for a small fee).

Or at least they did when we visited.

Its worth the time to visit...won't take very long but enjoyable

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Chena Ice Museum

Oh thanks. I've been here over a year and haven't managed to get there yet but have been meaning to...

London
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chena Ice Museum

I'm not sure if you are referring to the Ice Hotel or the Ice Museum. If you are talking about the Ice Hotel then I went for a tour in March whilst we stayed at Chena Hot Springs. There is a refridgeration unit that has been built around the outside so the Ice Hotel can last all year. They were still working on the hotel while we were there so I'm not sure how ready they would be for guests (if you were interested in staying there). The tour lasted somewhere between 15-30 minutes depending on how long you wanted to look at each area (it's quite small - 4 bedrooms while the bar area, fireplace and the wedding alter are in the open plan area as you walk in). The cost of the tour per person was $15 without tax.

As for the Ice Museum, we heard there was a good one in Fairbanks but we didn't have enough time to see it. We did make it over to the World Ice Art Sculpting comp in Fairbanks which was fascinating although I'm sure the ice art would have melted by now.

Hope this helps.