We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain, rain, rain ... are we ####wed?

Alabama
Level Contributor
260 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Rain, rain, rain ... are we ####wed?

The family and I ate getting into town Monday afternoon for five days and four nights, just in time for about the worst weather forecast you can imagine, an unending stream of tropical moisture riding up the coast all the way through Friday.

I know the tagged questions say it won't rain every day, but it just might next week.

She who must be obeyed says she doesn't care, she'll sit in the hotel five days to get out of our town. Trust me, that'll last about 8 hours and she'll be clawing paint off the walls.

We have umbrellas, we have ponchos. We can carry extra clothes because we're driving.

So if it's a monsoon, what's my game plan in the historic district where you pretty much have to walk everywhere?

I can cancel the hotel through Sunday, I've thought about punting and doing something else somewhere else on the fly, but nobody really wants that. So I'm sending out an SOS.

Best Seller
Savannah Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
217 Reviews
from USD 33.00*
Savannah Culinary and Cultural...
370 Reviews
from USD 53.95*
Best Seller
Savannah Riverboat Cruises
1,089 Reviews
from USD 27.50*
20 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,771 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain, rain, rain ... are we ####wed?

At first I thought you were being overly dramatic. "Rain" is a normal daily forecast in Savannah due to afternoon tropical storms around 4pm that end quickly.

But you are right. Monday through Thursday it's 80-90% rain. That's a LOT of rain.

My favorite umbrella (Kate Spade) was purchased in Savannah during a heavy rain visit. We still strolled the squares but it wasn't as much fun as non-raining days.

I'd add either Lyft or Uber to your smartphone and have it ready for short trips within the HD. Some of the pedicabs have plastic "windshield" type covers and they work pretty well. I'd concentrate on nice restaurants, bars, historic homes and museums. You can still have a very nice trip. I hope you are staying at a nice hotel. It will make a difference!

Now's the time to do the "inside" things in Savannah!

(I'm glad it clears before I get there!)

Edited: 13 May 2018, 00:40
Alabama
Level Contributor
260 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain, rain, rain ... are we ####wed?

Staying at Hampton on East Bay.

NWS forecast for rain is not as aggressive as Accuweather, Weather Underground, etc., but I think there's a pretty good chance it's going to be wet LOL! In meteorological terms, that stream of tropical moisture up the coast is going to be held in place all week by a trough on the west. Maybe Mother Nature will toss a curveball.

I do have Uber BTW.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 01:12
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,771 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain, rain, rain ... are we ####wed?

I deleted the Uber app and added Lyft. Most drivers drive for both, but I won't support Uber anymore.

That Hampton is in a good location. I'd be "warming up" or "drying out" at the Planters Tavern under the Pink House a lot. ;)

Most of the favorite TA things to do are on the eastern side of the HD so that's good. And if there are breaks in the rain - or if it's just a soft rain - it's nice to stroll the squares stopping at shops, etc. IMO, the best part of Savannah. I did the same in London a couple of week ago. The umbrella only came out for hard rain, but it looks like you'll be getting a lot of that.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g608…

If you haven't done this already, I'd do -

Mickve Israel Temple tour

First African Baptist Church - fascinating Underground Railroad connection

Owens-Thomas House - definitely, and you'll have access to the other museums (Telfair and Jepson) too

Davenport House Museum

Alabama
Level Contributor
260 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain, rain, rain ... are we ####wed?

All those places are on the list.

If it's raining we probably won't bother going to Tybee, that will free us up to do more things in HD.

it's not a long trip to Tybee, but we found it a tricky little trip that we'd rather not do in the rain. None of us including the kids are big beach people ... and being on a beach in the rain is probably at the top of my "most miserable things" list ... and the only thing we really left undone last time is going up in the lighthouse, wife's knee was bothering her.

Hey, when you're going somewhere that you have to make reservations far in advance to get a spot, you pays your money and you takes your chances, and Mother Nature tends to do her own thing. We'll make the best of it. We're not Margaret Hamiltons, we won't melt when we get wet. :)

And it's funny you should mention Uber vs. Lyft, I had just looked at a comparison of the two sites when checking sample fares around the HD, and it struck me, Lyft seems to be a whole lot better deal for the drivers and a whole lot nicer organization all the way around ...

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,771 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain, rain, rain ... are we ####wed?

"Lyft seems to be a whole lot better deal for the drivers and a whole lot nicer organization all the way around ..."

Exactly.

(To use your word = "####wed". That's what Uber is doing to their drivers)

Re Tybee - for years, my trips to Tybee consisted of -

Getting up early to have breakfast at The Breakfast Club (best dive restaurant anywhere) and then walk on the beach for a few minutes - before going back to Savannah and "work".

Driving out to Tybee to eat seafood at AJ's at sunset.

If it's not raining, I love the new(ish) Wyld Dock Bar in the marshes.

I did do a beach day on Tybee last year. That's the first time in years, and I mean YEARS.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 02:34
Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain, rain, rain ... are we ####wed?

"Rain" is a normal daily forecast in Savannah due to afternoon tropical storms around 4pm that end quickly" Savannah no ,longer has those daily rain showers and they where not from afternoon tropical storms any ways. This is Sat. and things can change. Savannah rarely has 3 full days of rain. I would think that showers now and then with no rain in between.

The best thing out Tybee way ( other then the beach ) is Fort Pulaski and the main fort was still closed a couple of weeks ago.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,771 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain, rain, rain ... are we ####wed?

SB, that's basically what I said in #1...

Oh wait. You were "correcting" me. LOL

So funny!

...but the OP is right. Check the storm headed up from Florida -

https:/…70004919

"Drenching rain" is what's headed up. Not the typical afternoon thunderstorm.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 02:47
Alabama
Level Contributor
260 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain, rain, rain ... are we ####wed?

OK let's play nice. :)

I don't think there's any question it's going to rain more than usual in Savannah next week. Just a matter of how much and when. Plus it's going to be humid as crap when it's not raining.

Being an amateur weather geek, the key is the western trough's placement and how hard/long it holds.

I have a game plan now for what we can do to keep this trip from being a total bust. The only thing unsettled is Bonaventure tour. Tim at Dash goes rain or shine, unless it actually is storming. We'll just have to see if it is storming Tuesday morning.

atlanta
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain, rain, rain ... are we ####wed?

Hey “Barometer” Big ;) - sounds like you have a great back up plan. Just make sure you add all-weather shoes to your rain gear. And watch those cobblestones on River Street, they are tricky even in dry weather.

Alabama
Level Contributor
260 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain, rain, rain ... are we ####wed?

Yeah last time we came into Savannah it was an absolute monsoon and we went down to River Street after it quit to try to find some grub and I encountered those slick cobblestones. I figured out quite quickly that I needed to be very careful and take plenty of time.

Reply to: Rain, rain, rain ... are we ####wed?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted