We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Baltimore in Mar: many questions for experts!

Louisville, Kentucky
5 posts
Trip to Baltimore in Mar: many questions for experts!

I've enjoyed reading through the forums here, and hope you all can help me out with a few more questions regarding my upcoming trip.

I'll be visiting Baltimore the first weekend in March, with 2 of my friends, and my youngest daughter. Friend #1 and I will be in a conference, while friend #2 will be taking my daughter around town to see the sights.

First --- I was not planning on renting a car, since we will only be there for a short period of time. We are staying at Pier 5 -- which looks to be very close to everything. Is a car necessary??

#2 -- transportation from the airport to hotel --- are there shuttles, or are cabs readily available?? Any idea how much a cab would be from the airport to Pier 5?

#3 -- attractions for a 4 year old?? I think they are loosely planning to hit Port Discovery, as well as the Aquarium, and possibly the Science Center. Are these places jam packed on the weekends?? Anywhere else they should visit?

Thanks so much! Your responses will help my trip tremendously!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,372 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Trip to Baltimore in Mar: many questions for experts!

1. Necessary- I don't know.

convenient maybe

I find that I wish I had done the opposite of whatever I choose.

Baltimore is relatively compact so taxi's should not be too much and there is a free bus that hits a number of highlights. check out "the circulator"

2 there are taxis and shuttles readily available. Not sure of cost since I live here but if you talke to the hotel, I am sure they know the answer.

3 Weekends can be busy. the aquarium sells timed tickets to cut down that wait. Does your daughter like trains- the B&O museum is well worth the visit.

Fort McHenry is another option.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
210 posts
106 reviews
2. Re: Trip to Baltimore in Mar: many questions for experts!

You can also add ESPN Zone. The second floor has games for all ages. You don't need a car and there are lots of taxis at the airport, just follow the ground transportation sign, its near baggage claim. All of the activities you have chosen sounds great as well as what the other poster mention. The harbor has lots of things to see. I think the water taxi will be running. Check out the Fudgery inside the building closest to the Vistor's Information building. The people sing as they make fudge. Have a good time in Baltimore:).

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
898 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: Trip to Baltimore in Mar: many questions for experts!

As far as travel I always push the light rail, especially if you're staying in the Inner Harbor. There is a terminal at BWI and fares are $1.60 or $3 and change for all day. It drops you off at the convention center on the other side of the harbor from Marriot. You may have a bit of a walk though. 10 blocks across the IH if ya don't mind, but it's all rubber neckin' and sight seeing.

As far as sights to see it sounds like you have a good 1st visit already set up. Hopefully we'll have all this snow gone before you get here.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
654 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Trip to Baltimore in Mar: many questions for experts!

Would not rent a car. Too much trouble for where u are and what you will be doing. There a new free Charm City Circulator bus that has a set route up and down the main 2 streets of downtown- which include Harbor East [ near your hotel] and Inner Harbor where the above attractions are located. Anyhting else is a very, very short cab or water taxi ride away. Ur dgtr may also enjoy American Visionary Arts Museum- very cool and unusual, Fort McHenry[ a must], Movie theatres in downtown. Visit the very nice Visitors Center right on the promenade of the Inner Harbor- can get coupons, visitors guides, ideas etc. Have fun!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
898 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: Trip to Baltimore in Mar: many questions for experts!

If you are visiting in March a water taxi ride may be hit or miss. May still be a bit cool for a open air harbor cruise. But then again it could be sunny and 80F by then. There's no telling this year. BUt if the weather is good for watercraft then a harbor taxi ticket is $8/person and goes all day. One of the best ways to see the harbor. You also get a boat load of freebies and discount cupons when you buy a ticket. And yes, check out the brand new free shuttle

http://www.charmcitycirculator.com/

I haven't tried it yet but I see these new buses on the streets.

Maryland
Level Contributor
37 posts
56 reviews
6. Re: Trip to Baltimore in Mar: many questions for experts!

The weather will probably be cold (judging by Feb!) so bring warm coats. I agree with Aquarium and Science Center (ask the Hotel is they can help get you tickets.) Also, go on line now to see what children's activities are available at the Walters Art Museum and the Baltimore Museum of Art. They both usually have cery child centered activities. You would probably need to take a cab to each museum. Your 4 yo would look any of those places and the adults would also.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
46 posts
38 reviews
7. Re: Trip to Baltimore in Mar: many questions for experts!

Don't rent a car if you just want to hang around the harbor area. Parking is difficult and expensive. Cabs from the airport will be somewhere in the $30 ballpark. They are easy to find. There are shuttles too which will run in the same ballpark total cost (depends how many people you split the taxi with).

The aquarium is generally crowded (its also expensive), but thats because its good.

8. Re: Trip to Baltimore in Mar: many questions for experts!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2010, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Baltimore
Recent Conversations