We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B'more with an 11 year old for an Orioles game

Detroit
Level Contributor
756 posts
74 reviews
B'more with an 11 year old for an Orioles game

I'm taking my 11 year old nephew to an Orioles game in May. Our flight comes in Thursday night and we leave Sunday morning. I plan on getting tickets for the Friday night game. Besides the game, what are the must do's of B'more with a kid? Also, what hotels do you suggest in close proxiemty of the stadium?

Thank you in advance.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,378 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: B'more with an 11 year old for an Orioles game

There are probably a dozen or more hotels in various price ranges within walking distance of the park and there is a free bus which accesses the hotels at harbor east (which is walking but a long walk or a short cab ride).

Look for marriotts, hiltons, and the other usual suspects.

As for things to do, take a look at the things to do list on the left and if you looking for something specific, let us know.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
836 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: B'more with an 11 year old for an Orioles game

Lots of things to do with a kid.... aquarium, science center, water taxi, ft. mchenry. have fun!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
210 posts
106 reviews
3. Re: B'more with an 11 year old for an Orioles game

Oriole Park at Camden Yards are only a few blocks from the harbor and as the other poster mention they is lots to do. Stop by the Vistor's Center, there is information to have a great weekend. I always take my grandchildren to ESPN Zone to play games on the second floor. The B&O railroad is near the park. Babe Ruth's childhood home is also around the corner from the park. Have fun:).

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: B'more with an 11 year old for an Orioles game

the museums at camden yards might be fun for him, too....

the sports legends and the all too often overlooked geppi's museum of popular culture, which is a LOT of fun, i think!

Detroit
Level Contributor
756 posts
74 reviews
5. Re: B'more with an 11 year old for an Orioles game

Thanks for all the suggestions! I can't wait! I got a heck of a deal on a flight.....now onto finding a deal for a hotel!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
898 posts
79 reviews
6. Re: B'more with an 11 year old for an Orioles game

Well, if you've taken your nephew to Comerica Park then you would know that there are a lot of cool things do do around the stadium but a few blocks in any direction and you're reminded that you are in Detroit. Baltimore is similar but there are a few more block to walk before you step into "The Wire". But I love Baltimore because it reminds me so much of Detroit (for better or worse). ESPN Zone is fun if he's a sports fan (bring your tourist $$ though $7 for a Coors Lt.). While on that part of town you will notice that most of the inner harbor is designed for foot traffic and just looking around. On the same side of the Harbor as the ESPN Zone is Port Discovery. Your nephew may be on the cusp of being one of the older kids there but it's a huge hands on learning center for kids. One of the best in the country.

Another cool quick and easy stop is the World Trade Center. It's right in the inner harbor and 1/2 way between Camden Yards and ESPN Zone. For $5 you can go to the top of the world for the best panoramic views of the city/harbor/docks and the rest of Baltimore. Quick cheap off beat stop.

Travel tip! If you're staying in a hotel near the stadium (Hilton,Holiday Inn, etc) Take the light rail from the airport to your hotel. The light rail is around $2-3 each and has a ternminal at BWI which stops right at Camden Yards/Convention Center.

Enjoy your stay and good luck to your Tigers. Next to the Yankees and Red Socks the Tigers have one of the largest visiting fan bases in Baltimore.

And Baltimore baseball is AWESOME in May. That's when us O's fans still have hope.

baltimore, md
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: B'more with an 11 year old for an Orioles game

you might check on the O's webpage about pregame tours of the staduim. i know they do them, i just can't remember when. i know as a kid i would have LOVED to see the back ground workings of the staduim....

Detroit
Level Contributor
756 posts
74 reviews
8. Re: B'more with an 11 year old for an Orioles game

Thank all of you for your suggestions and ideas. I booked the Renaissance Harborplace. I'm excited to check it out.

Gravitron - I like that you compared B'more to the D. We get bagged on a lot, but we have a great stadium area and good fans. I loved that Anthony Bourdain had his Detroit espisode paired with B'more. I watch the Wire....I'm glad there is more to it than that!

Any good local cuisine we should check out?

Thanks again!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
898 posts
79 reviews
9. Re: B'more with an 11 year old for an Orioles game

If you like Comerica Park you'll love Camden Yards. It's the ball park that set the standard for new stadiums being build in the city center and blends in beautifully with the thriving part of the inner harbor. You couldn't have picked a better hotel than Renaissance. It's a great place in the heart of it all. And best of all (for a kid) It has walkways 2 stories above the street that you can cross the street and go to the shops at the inner harbor. Great views of the immediate street from a bird's eye view.

Oh yea, and if the weather is nice enough and it's not too crowded you can rent dragon-shaped paddle boats and play in the harbor. Fun time for a kid. There are also water taxi rides throughout the inner harbor that are $8 for all day. Now that I think of it, Inner Harbor is pretty cool if your a kid.

But if he's a real baseball fan, and you too, I'd take Suesue's advice and check out the Camden Yards tour. I haven't been to one but baseball folk say it's one of the best stadium tours of any stadium in any sport. They wouldn't tell me why though. Gotta find out for myself one day I guess.

Man, I'm so ready for baseball now. I got opening day tix for Christmas and I just want to want them I'm so excited.

Have fun. Oh, and Sparty on!

MSU!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,378 posts
58 reviews
10. Re: B'more with an 11 year old for an Orioles game

local cuisine -- crabs, crabcakes

little italy for italian

Brick oven Pizza (BOP) in Fells Point

Your nephew may also like the Green Turtle Pub in Fells Point.

Excellent sports bar