We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tale of two bases

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Tale of two bases

Well, short and sweet, im 54 retired Navy, from San diego looking for a decent place to retire. Its pretty much come down to JAX and Pensacola, to take advantage of the bases and what they might have to offer retired Navy citizens. I'm considering the proximity to VA hospitals, also my spare-time hobby is beach combing with a good metal detector. My rent comfort level is at $500 a month for a studio, i bdrm, or even SRO to start with. For $515 monthly here i get a 300sq ft room with a sink and shared bathroom. Greyhound will be my starting point in either city, so im looking for the easiest and largest selection of vacancies. I don't mind a fleabag place for a little while until i can find something. My question would be, which city would best fit me. Advise from anyone who has lived around either bases would be nice. My next question would be which base would be cheaper to live around/next to.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tale of two bases

Since you seem to have an affinity for the beaches, have you considered Mayport? Your question is a little hard to answer, since without knowing you personally, it' hard to say what would best fit you. Pensacola is more of a tourist destination, and that is usually more expensive here in Florida, but I'm sure it's a very nice town. Jacksonville is not usually a tourist spot, but since we do have Mayport, NAS Jax, and Kings Bay Submarine Station close by, we have a lot of stuff geared around our military people. Here in Jax, we love our sailors! Many of us have friends in the Navy and have been on friends and family cruises. I have personally been on the Kennedy and went on the DDG Sullivans as a guest of the commander (which was awesome because my hubby got to sit in the captain's chair on the bridge and we had his cabin for restroom breaks). I think that there are a ton of cheaper apartments in the Mayport area, but I don't know exactly what's around NAS, apartment wise.

Good luck with your search...

Vicki

Edited: 10 July 2011, 00:02
Kuta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tale of two bases

Ty for that priceless info. Are you referring to the North Beach area where there are tons, or elsewhere? Realistically, im looking for the first thing once i get off the bus early one morning (if i time it right). Maybe a weekly room or something until i can orient myself. Then ill move to that destination, which sounds alot better than my original two bases. I was nt giving Mayport much thought because it looked too remote with not too many living prospects, however your word "tons" has piqued my interest. Please elaborate.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tale of two bases

Mayport is not remote at all. Everything you would need would be close by...restaurants, grocery stores, shopping, etc. Hundreds of Navy families live in the immediate vicinity of the base; look for anywhere on or near Mayport Road. Additionally, it's probably a better bet for biking. You probably would not have to worry about large highways or bridges to get wherever you want to go. You may want to consider doing a Google search on 'Mayport, FL apartments' or 'rooms'.

Kuta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tale of two bases

Ill do just that, once i update my google earth program to do a current streetview tour. Mayport Road huh? See why i call it priceless info because i would never have come up with this alone. If i can just sweettalk my way into an apartment deal with just my military id and drivers license, you'll be the first one i thank!

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tale of two bases

No thanks necessary...that's what us 'destination experts' are here for. Glad to help! Let me know if you need anything further...good luck with your search.

FYI - Mayport Road is the main road that leads into the base, and there are a lot of apartments on and right off of it for convenience to the base. The businesses there tend to give the military people some discounts, I think. Let me know what you end up with, and if you end up here in Jax. We'd love to have you!

Vicki

6. Re: Tale of two bases

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 09:16
Get answers to your questions about Jacksonville