We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling into downtown Philadelphia from Spring Lake, NJ

new jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Traveling into downtown Philadelphia from Spring Lake, NJ

I am planning to visit the Barnes Fundation on a weekday. Wondering what the drive time is and parking availability versus taking a train into the city from Hamilton train station.

8 replies to this topic
Voorhees, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
127 reviews
1. Re: Traveling into downtown Philadelphia from Spring Lake, NJ

It would be a whole lot easier and cheaper taking NJT from the Hamilton station into Center City than driving. If driving, you will have bridge tolls and pay for parking versus a train ticket on NJT to Trenton and an SEPTA ticket to Suburban Station in Philly. The Barnes foundation is about 5 or 6 blocks away from the station. Traffic during the day coming down I295 and across either bridge as well as from the bridge to the Barnes can be bad and trying to find parking in that area even worse.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
906 reviews
2. Re: Traveling into downtown Philadelphia from Spring Lake, NJ

So it would be $10 for a one way adult fare from Hamilton To Philly and then you could walk to the Barnes. If you Uber/Lyft/ taxi figure another $8-10.

If you are going alone it might be worth it to take the train, parties of 2 or larger might find driving a better budget alternative. There is parking at the Franklin Institute (across from the Barnes) for up to 12 hours for $22.

Two adult round trip train $40

Round trip ride service $15-20

new jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Traveling into downtown Philadelphia from Spring Lake, NJ

Thanks Mike E and pookala. Can I take a train directly to Suburban Station from Hamilton Station? Or is it better to go to Trenton and then switch to SEPTA?

Voorhees, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
127 reviews
4. Re: Traveling into downtown Philadelphia from Spring Lake, NJ

You would have to switch at Trenton from NJT to SEPTA to get into Suburban Station but that’s not usually a problem. Two different fare systems though but easier that driving and parking at the Trenton station.

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Traveling into downtown Philadelphia from Spring Lake, NJ

You can buy joint NJT/SEPTA tickets at 80 NJT stations. I'm not sure, but I imagine Hamilton is one. So check and buy your return ticket as well.

Voorhees, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
127 reviews
6. Re: Traveling into downtown Philadelphia from Spring Lake, NJ

That’s a great idea, df. Hope they have it. I’ve never used it myself but it would really be easy.

new jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Traveling into downtown Philadelphia from Spring Lake, NJ

Thank you all for your help in navigating to Philly.

Voorhees, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
127 reviews
8. Re: Traveling into downtown Philadelphia from Spring Lake, NJ

No problem, poco. That’s what we’re here for. Hope your travels go well and are safe.

Reply to: Traveling into downtown Philadelphia from Spring Lake, NJ
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted