We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers @ Reading Terminal Market

BrickUSA
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
First Timers @ Reading Terminal Market

Days ago I had a thread that mostly focused on parking.

I thought I'd create a new thread that will begin with a different focus.

Myself, my wife and my 16 yr old daughter will be first time visitors to Reading TM this Saturday. Arriving by 1:30PM. My wife and teen love to shop. We all love to eat.

Only one person on my previous thread responded to my question about how much time might first time visitors spend in Reading Terminal Market? I appreciate that response but I'd like to read a few more and see if there is any consensus.

Re. the two parking garages that give special rates (show a $10 purchase receipt)...associated w/ the RTM. Hypothetically, if we don't make it back within the 2 hours. Say we tried our best but we got back in 2 hours and 20 minutes? What will they charge us for going over?

Edited: 10 May 2018, 22:17
13 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
121 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers @ Reading Terminal Market

Even though the best parking rate is the two hour, the third hour is still discounted. I believe you lose the discount after three. You can eat and tour the market in two hours.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
859 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers @ Reading Terminal Market

I'd say 2 -3 hours max. Just as an FYI, there are longer lines and it can be definitely more crowded on a Saturday which can add minutes to wait time, navigating the aisles and finding a table.

For food, everyone has their favorites, I love DiNics, Meltkraft, Beiler's donuts and their pumpkin cookies with cream cheese frosting (OMG) across the aisle. The roast chicken from Dienner's Bar BBQ, Basset's ice cream, the pignoli cookies from Termini's, Old City coffee, Hershel's Deli and the Four Season Juice Bar. I get produce from Iovine's and like the selection at Downtown Cheese.

For shopping, for your wife and daughter, there's a really nice stretch of shops on 13th Street between Chestnut St and Walnut. You might want to make some time to check out these independently owned boutiques.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 01:32
BrickUSA
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers @ Reading Terminal Market

Thank you both. I will go back to the previous thread and pull up the contact info. for those parking garages that give a discount. Before i do that, ....as I recall I also need to show a proof purchase receipt from Read T. M. that is at least $10. Do the ReadingTM RESTAURANTS qualify? We will easily spend more than $10 on hot food.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 01:43
BrickUSA
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timers @ Reading Terminal Market

Found the link.

Checked it out.

I'm gonna use the "12th & Filbert Garage" Website states it has 862 parking spots

GPS address seems to be 1201 Filbert Street Philadelphia PA 19107

The other business is actually a Hilton Garden Inn. Probably their hotel guests will be their priority? Filbert would be the best?

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timers @ Reading Terminal Market

I would agree with two to three hours. I can't answer your cost of parking question as I can walk to the RTM and I don't have a car, so it isn't anything I pay attention to.

Adding to the food suggestions, By George and Little Thai Market (the curry salmon is awesome).

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
859 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timers @ Reading Terminal Market

Oh my yes to the curry salmon at Thai Market. It's the only thing my sister gets when she goes to RTM.

I also really like Condiment for custom butter mixtures, Miller's Twist for hot pretzels, and the Pennsylvania General stores chocolate covered pretzels.

BrickUSA
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timers @ Reading Terminal Market

Update....

I called 12th & Filbert garage.They said they are right across the street from Reading Terminal Market.

They said their rates went up very slightly. Here are the new rates:

Parking there for up to 2 hours is $5.....not $5 per hour.....just $5 total! :)

Parking for up to 2 1/2 hours is $11

Parking for up to 3 hours is $17

Edited: 11 May 2018, 02:27
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timers @ Reading Terminal Market

To get the discount, give your parking ticket to a vendor where you spend more than $10. They will punch it. No need to show receipts when you get your car, just use the ticket you got when you entered the garage.

BrickUSA
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timers @ Reading Terminal Market

Will I pay with a parking garage employee or at a payment machine?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
121 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timers @ Reading Terminal Market

Yes-the restaurants will stamp your ticket. Be sure to get a ticket when you enter the garage-do NOT use the insert credit card option.

Reply to: First Timers @ Reading Terminal Market
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted