We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Trip Nov/Dec 2014

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
114 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
New York Trip Nov/Dec 2014

Hi all,

My husband and I are coming to NY on Friday 28th November 2014 and staying until 3rd December 2014 (5 nights) before flying to FL to visit family. This is my first visit to NY.

I am trying to find ideas of places to stay. In a "dream world" we would like as close to Times Square as possible, however I appriciate this may not be the most cost effective idea at the time of year we are coming!

We would consider hotel or apartment, our budget is £200/$300 a night for a hotel but if we got an apartment we wouldn't be looking at spending as much. Can anyone recommend any hotels/apartments/areas that would be good to look in? When is the best time to look at prices and booking as well?

I stumbled across Metro Apartments but having looked through some past forum posts have noticed that there is some query over if its legal?

Any help will be most appriciated :) and I apologize for asking this question ridiculously early I just don't want to be caught out of not knowing when to book or what to book!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Trip Nov/Dec 2014

I dont know when the prices will come out but i would start looking on websites like expedia or Virgin holidays. Have a look at prices for this year to get an idea. Cross refer with the reviews on this website for specific hotels and make tour decision from then.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Trip Nov/Dec 2014

If you are looking at an appartment, make sure it is an appartment hotel such as Radio City Apartments. Renting an actual apartment from someone for less than 30 days is illegal in NYC, yet there are still hundreds of them advertised. Don't fall victim! Have a look at the second top question on the right hand side of this page.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Trip Nov/Dec 2014

I'm not sure if you realize it, but Thanksgiving Day in 2014 will be Thursday, November 27th. So you'll be arriving on Black Friday and staying in NYC over a busy holiday weekend. The Rockefeller Center tree will be evening of Wednesday, December 3rd, which is your departure day. All of this = big crowds and high prices. Are your dates flexible at all?

It's too early to see 2014 prices now, but looking at your dates for this year might give you some idea of the prices you can expect. As was mentioned, apartment rentals for <30 days are mostly illegal, so don't go that route. Being in Times Square is not as important (or as pleasant) as many first-time visitors think; as long as your hotel is near a subway stop, you'll be able to get around to the sights just fine. (And the sights are not all right around Times Square).

Have fun planning!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
114 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Trip Nov/Dec 2014

Thank you for the replies. I had realised about Thanksgiving etc and I know we have picked a bad time to visit in terms of prices and visitor numbers! We haven't booked flights as you can't yet, if we move the dates it needs to be either two weeks before or two weeks after (it's complicated!!) and the earlier one would mean I miss my best friends wedding and the second we would be in the US for Xmas, which I would love but I'm not sure how the families at home would react! Something to think about though!

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York Trip Nov/Dec 2014

Hi we went to New York as part of our honeymoon in October and stayed at the Ameritania hotel! I would highly recommend it! Perfect location really close to Times Square and beautiful hotel!

new york
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York Trip Nov/Dec 2014

Sometimes the weekend after Thanksgiving hotel prices aren't as bad as you'd expect. I wouldn't come 1-2 weeks later because the prices will likely be higher. You might want to compare the prices for the weekend before Thanksgiving to get an idea if that will be any better.

Canberra, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: New York Trip Nov/Dec 2014

Hi there. We've been to NYC four times and are coming back for our fifth trip this year. The same time as you. We arrive 17 November and are leaving 17 December. We are from australia, so the travel distance warrants a month in the big apple. We love It. We stay and have always stayed at the AKA Apartments on 44th street. 50 metres from Tines Square. Close to 42 and times subway, the rock, Bryant park etc. Search AKA Times Square. They are geared up for stays of plus 5 days. Ie no daily cleaning. But you have your own laundry, bathroom and spare room with plenty of space. There is a gym , office centre and new roof top bar. We are paying 265 US per night, which is a monthly figure, so a shorter stay will be more expensive. Enjoy.

8. Re: New York Trip Nov/Dec 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2014, 04:00
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York Trip Nov/Dec 2014

Radio City Apartments, recommended by Kis, is available during your dates, is cancelable, and is well within your budget. It has a kitchenette and you indicated you wanted an "apartment" as close to Times Square as possible and lodging that would be cost-effective.

Unless you have something in mind that meets your needs better than this, it would be prudent to make this reservation on a cancelable basis now. The combination of all the factors you identified as priorities is not easy to meet, especially at that time of year.

Edited: 25 January 2014, 14:05
Newcastle, England...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: New York Trip Nov/Dec 2014

We are arriving from the UK the same day as you and have just got a great deal at the Hudson hotel next to Central Park.......!!! Might even see you there :-)