We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 2014

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
May 2014

For years my wife and I have talked about going to NYC. The discussion has always ended up, someday.

It now looks like someday is finally going to finally happen in May 2014.

My first question in our planning process is, how is May for visiting New York?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from USD 175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from USD 199.00*
USD 214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from USD 83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,374 reviews
from USD 36.00*
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 2014

in what sense? weather? crowds? stuff to do?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 2014

May is a good time BUT hotel prices are typically high. Hotel prices fluctuate based on supply and demand and May brings lots of graduations that fill hotel rooms. The upside is hopefully good weather. If you're on a tight budget, you might look in April but not around Easter.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 2014

Thank you for your quick replies

For LMVManchester_UK: Yes to all. 1. We would like warm weather before it gets too hot. 2. We would like to avoid the crowds of tourists, if possible. 3. And it would be nice if everything was open.

Now after saying all of that, I realize that weather can change daily. But, from what I am finding out, NYC is full of Plan B rainy day options.

For nywhiz: I have already been pricing hotels within walking distance of Penn Station. At this time what I am finding will be within our budget.

We know there is no way to see and do everything in a few days. But, what we normally do is work out what we want to see and do while on vacation. This is what we are starting now. From there we will try to put our daily plans together into a workable form.

My research today is finding a WEALTH of INFORMATION on your forum. I have been with TA since 2006 and the New York City Forum is the best laid out Top Questions I have come across.

I want to thank both of you for your answers and to thank everyone responsible for the Top Questions!

4. Re: May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 01:53
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May 2014

I agree. The area around Penn Station is not the best for dining although it's getting better.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May 2014

Hi HeraldSquare,

Yes we are planning to arrive on the Lake Shore Limited. If the train arrives on time, we should be leaving Penn Station by 7:00 pm or so. Then a short walk to the hotel. I also liked the idea of being centrally located and close to the subway.

But, as you stated, there is no reason limit our hotel search because of walking distance to Penn Station. Just walking distance to a subway.

Hi nywhiz,

I would be happy eating off food carts while we are in NYC. But, my wife would have issues with that. We will be looking at nearby restaurants in our final hotel choice.

Thank you both for your helpful responses.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May 2014

dont limit yourselves to resteraunts near your hotel either

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May 2014

I'm a big fan on google maps. Address

maps.google.com

They have a really useful tool 'search nearby'. When you map a location (like a hotel) you'll see an option that says search nearby. If you click that, a box pops up that allows you type whatever you want, restaurants, or more specific Italian restaurants, pizza etc. Not only do you see what's nearby but there are often linked reviews.

If you're staying for more than a few days (which I hope you are) staying near Penn station is not necessary AND it's not the prettiest area. Staying near a subway is important, but there are a lot of subway stations and some are in nicer locations than others. If you don't mind a non traditional place, the suites at

chelsealodge.com

or

agardeninchelsea.com

might be appealing and give you more the feel of living here. You'd have a kitchenette in both places, they're not that far from Penn station and offer a bit more space than a typical hotel room. These places also tend not to change rates so much by season.

http://goo.gl/maps/OU9LK

If you'd rather a tradtional hotel, just know that the prices you're seeing online for next May are probably not very accurate as it's so far in advance. You're seeing 'rack rates' (the prices they'd like to get).

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May 2014

Hi nywhiz,

Oh wow!

Luckily we have not booked anything yet. It never occurred to us that there was any place like this in NYC.

Originally we were arriving on Sunday evening and leaving on Wednesday. Then we were staying until Thursday. Now, maybe Friday.

I see that both of these are close to the 8th Avenue Subway station at 23rd Street.

Thank you for links. My wife and I will have much to talk about this evening.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: May 2014

NYC has everything ;-)