We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ID in NYC for a tourist

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ID in NYC for a tourist

Hi, im an international tourist going to NYC soon. I would like to visit the DMV and get an ID card. Is that possible? And how can I apply for it?

Thanx

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ID in NYC for a tourist

Might I ask why? Are you going to be living there or anywhere in the US? I believe you can only get an DMV issued ID if you have a permanent address (I might be proven wrong.) Not just for visiting. I am curious to hear why you want a US DMV ID.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ID in NYC for a tourist

Not as a tourist. You have to show that you live here legally - through a working visa or similar. And have a US address, which you could prove with a lease, or utility bill. You can't get one with a tourist visa.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ID in NYC for a tourist

Your passport should suffice for any situations where you need to show ID.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: ID in NYC for a tourist

Thanx.

Well, because I dont want to carry my passport around. Its too risky. And a lot of places require an ID. Someone told me that I can get a visa even as a tourist.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,421 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ID in NYC for a tourist

You can get a tourist visa as a tourist. A tourist visa doesn't entitle you to a New York State resident's ID.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ID in NYC for a tourist

Yankee Stadium and Madison Square Garden and other sporting grounds will not serve you a drink if you don't have your passport as ID.

Most other bars and places you would need to show ID would accept your local driver's licence, so you can leave your passport in the hotel.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ID in NYC for a tourist

Proof of residency is required. Do you have a Driver's License with your photo on it from where you live? If so I would use that and carry a copy of your Passport with you.

BTW, even if you lived here you don't get your driver's license or ID right away. You go in and wait (even with an appointment like I had) and then fill out a form and give your thumb print, and get your picture taken. And then they give you a temporary paper ID which does NOT have your picture on it. So it would not be good anywhere proving that it is you unless you carry your Passport with it to prove it (which is what I did.) Then approx 2 - 3 weeks later you get the permanent laminated photo ID in the mail to your home address.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,536 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ID in NYC for a tourist

You must prove residency http://www.dmv.ny.gov/idlicense.htm

Why in the world would you want to spend vacation time at the DMV anyway?

Make a photocopies of your passport and leave one in your luggage and another with a trusted friend/relative at home. There is a Saudi consulate in NY if you have problems

NSW
Level Contributor
406 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ID in NYC for a tourist

I agree with you about carrying around your passport. We were asked for photo ID and used our driver's license with no problems including buying alcohol at Yankee Stadium.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ID in NYC for a tourist

When you mention "visa" are you referring to a tourist visa or a VISA credit card?