We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC Metro vs. New York Subways

Dallas, Texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Washington DC Metro vs. New York Subways

Having travelled to Washington DC several times, we are very comfortable using the Metro. It is clean, easy to understand and does not have a rushed "pace" feel to it and its riders.

Help me with the New York subways? My husband, my teen son and 9 year old son and I are going to NYC in a month from Tues-Sat.

What are the subways like in NYC? Appropriate way for kids to get around? Any tips for understanding trains? We'll be seeing all the touristy things....

We will walk as much as we can, but want to get idea of subway vs cabs for a family.

Thanks!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC Metro vs. New York Subways

this is brilliant:-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4244193…

I highly recommend the subway

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,274 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC Metro vs. New York Subways

I think the Metro has a very rushed pace during rush hour, and you will find the same in New York City. Subways are absolutely appropriate for children. The subway is much more comprehensive than the metro - there are many more lines, they intersect in more places, and the subway runs 24/7/365, unlike the Metro. Read the Idiot's Guide linked by LMV, and ask specific questions if you have them.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,945 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC Metro vs. New York Subways

I found the subways to be very well signposted which makes it very easy to get to the right platform.

One big tip is to know whether you need to head Uptown or Downtown. That way you won't get on a train going in the wrong direction.

And make sure you read the FAQ called "How do I Ride The Subway" on the right hand side of the screen as others have suggested. Spend half an hour reading it and it will be a great help.

Once you do a few trips on the subway you will be an expert ;-)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,272 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington DC Metro vs. New York Subways

Another thing in NY it is one fare whether you go one stop or 10. As long as you don't exit the system you can stay underground and ride for hours. You do not swipe your ticket when you exit

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington DC Metro vs. New York Subways

I agree with the others.

I find the New York subway rather "uncomfortable" compared to the metro in D.C., but that's just my opinion and in the end it doesn't really matter, because it's an efficient and very cheap way to get around the city. It's a flat fare all around the city and it doesn't matter how far you go.

Oh, and the subway doors open directly as the train stops. Made me crazy that the DC metro doors remained closed for another 5-ish seconds at the stop. :D

Just came to my mind. haha.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington DC Metro vs. New York Subways

Another advise: Make sure you are familar with the general structure of the city. All the information boards at the station will also state beside the terminal, the directions "Uptown", "Downtown" or one of the boroughs, so if you know what way you want to go and what way all the boroughs are, it's very easy to get around.

And make sure you don't get on an express train if the stop where you want to get off is skipped by those. You will see that on the subway map.

Some local "routes" sometimes have express trains, too during rush hours, that's indicated by the train number in a diamond instead of a circle.

But you will figure that out very quickly, it's easy to find your way around the subway.

Edited: 27 February 2013, 09:42
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,183 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington DC Metro vs. New York Subways

Love the NYC subway sysytem use to ride it all day back in the day thats how i learned the system,one of the best in the world gets you to just about anywhere.

NYC baby!
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington DC Metro vs. New York Subways

I understand your trepidation as a tourist who hasn't used the NYC subway before, but it is quite easy to navigate and you'll likely be like an old pro after your first ride. What I never understand is when people ask if the subway is OK to ride with children. Do you imagine that those of us who live here with kids take taxis or walk everywhere? My son has ridden the subways with me since he was a baby and started taking the subway alone with friends from the age of 12. You'll all be fine!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Washington DC Metro vs. New York Subways

Metro is newer and cleaner than the NYC subway. However, it is a lot cheaper to ride the subway in NYC---a lot cheaper! As forgotmypword pointed out, in NYC you don't have to use your fare card to exit the station. With Metro, the fare cost varies depending on whether you are riding off peak, peak or peak-of-the-peak plus how far you are going. In NYC, the fare is the same no matter what time of day or how far you ride.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,234 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Washington DC Metro vs. New York Subways

I like the DC metro, but I've never been on it at rush hour. I suspect it would be the same - rushed and crowded.

Now that I can walk to work and have pretty much eliminated the subway from my life except on weekends, I definitely feel a lot less stress.

In August, I had 1 accident-free weekend trip in DC where I only took mass transit, but the 2 business trips before that, I was 2 for 2 for cab accidents. Both trips - once going to Gannett and once coming back from Gannett. Good thing I dont work there anymore! So all and all, mass transit is much better!

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 27 February 2013, 13:22