We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in NYC

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
78 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
One day in NYC

I am visiting NYC for one day in a few weeks. I have been many times, and know there is NO way to see it all. The friend I'm going with has never been. So we are thinking of planning to see some key places. We are arriving by bus around 10:30 a.m. and will depart 7pm.

On her list is: Central Park, WTC and Statue of Liberty. I also want her to see Times Square.

I'm wondering if we would be best off taking a tour, to help us hit some of these key places. Or if we are better off picking a spot and spending a few hours, and getting to the next on our own. (If so, what is the best mode....the subway scares me!! LOL!)

*I was thinking we could visit the WTC area and maybe take the Staten Island ferry. We will not have time to take the ferry TO lady liberty. Not even sure if we will have time for the Staten Island Ferry.....

Any suggestions?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in NYC

I don't think a tour would be best. Just get around on your own at your own pace.

What scares you about the subway? And why would you be "laughing out loud" about it? Do you not use the T in Boston? There is an Idiot's Guide to the Subway you might find helpful.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
78 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in NYC

I was LOL because I think it's funny that it scares me. Yes, I frequently use the T in Boston, but I was born here I'm very familiar with it. I will admit I only attempted the NYC subway once, and I was in college, but I found it extremely confusing and had a lot of difficulty getting where I wanted to go. I had much less problems using the public transportation in Rome. I've used in in DC with no problems as well.

Maybe now that I'm 'gown up' I will find it less confusing? In the past I have used the busses, cabs, or drove to where I wanted to go and walked. But I've never attempted to cover so much ground in one day.

Do you think it's possible to visit the above in a day, if we don't spend much time at each?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in NYC

Yes. You will find it less confusing. It is far less confusing than the Metro in DC. I think you may have found it overwhelming, not confusing. Everything is really easy but there are a lot of lines so some people just see that and don't even try to tackle it.

You could easily visit all of these in a full day. Staten Island ferry is downtown and not far from WTC. Times Square and Central Park are both somewhat close and uptown. Spend half the day downtown and half the day uptown.

Edited: 21 September 2012, 05:06
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,389 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in NYC

A tour would make it easier for you. Unfortunately

Onboardtours.com

Is 5 hrs. and starts at 10 am or 12:30. If you do the 12:30, you have very little time on your own

Maybe consider using

Ontimenewyork.com

Which is a private tour designed for your timetable and likes.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
78 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in NYC

Thanks so much for the advice. It's really appreciated! Keep it coming if you have more.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,389 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in NYC

Well what more would you like? It would help if you shared your thoughts now. Do you want to try a tour or would you prefer to do this on your own? if on your own, what more help do you need?

While the Staten island ferry is free, imo it's too far from the SOL to properly see it. If it's a nice day, I'd definitely take a cruise of some sort.

statuecruises.com

offers one that just passes the Statue as does the Circle Line which leaves from midtown near Times Square. If you want to see the 9/11 memorial, you'll need to reserve tickets at

911memorial.org

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
78 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in NYC

Ugh....I just wrote a long reply and it got deleted before I could post.

We plan do try doing it ourselves. Here is the plan at this point, everything is all dependent on time. I've been having a tough time convincing my friend we cannot do ALL she wants in one day...but I think we've narrowed it down.

We plan to head downtown via bus as soon as we arrive (approx 10:15). We do want to do the Staten Island Ferry. I will check out the cruise link above too, thank you. Then she wants to see the Vietnam Memorial as well as the WTC. She has been told all are an 'easy walk' and I hope that is true. We know we will not be able to see the WTC memorial as we don't have tickets, but she feels being in the area will be good enough.

Then we plan to go to Rockafeller Center via subway. We will go to the top of the Rock. We also want to visit St. Patrick's Cathedral across the street.

After that we are going to Central Park. We will either walk, or most likely, take public transportation to the North-ish side and walk back down. She wants to see SO much and does not seem to understand how huge it is. What we do at this point will all depend on how much time we have.

After that, we will make our way to Times Square, where we will spend the rest of our time. Then we will catch our bus at 8:00 when I'm sure I will be happy to sit for hours! LOL!!

Everything will depend on time. I've suggested we plan how much time we want to allow in each spot to keep us as on track as possible. We will do what we can with the time we have. LOL!!

What do you think? Is the above possible?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in NYC

Vietnam Veteran's Plaza is close to the Staten Islabnd Ferry terminal, as is the WTC Memorial, but they're in opposite directions from each other. You might consider doing the ferry in between the other two to avoid backtracking.

Why are you going to take a bus downtown? Buses in the financial district are painfully slow, and the subway will be much faster.

Don't forget that you'll want to see Central Park while it's still light out. Think about heading up to the park immediately after your downtown time, and working your way back to midtown (TOTR, St. Patrick's) afterwards. That will also eliminate backtracking when you head to Times Square. You don't need more than half an hour to see Times Square.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,389 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in NYC

I agree with that. I will be helpful for you to use

maps.google.com

on their full classic website. You can just type in locations at the top and get walking directions or subway directions (click the train icon on the top left or the person icon).

You don't say where you're being dropped off by bus, but I'm assuming it will be in midtown. If that's the case, why not do Central Park first and then head downtown? You can end your day in Times Square where it's actually better if it's darker. If you do that, you could even take a nywaterway or circle line cruise from midtown to pass by the Statue of Liberty.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
78 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day in NYC

Thanks so much great advice.

I had no idea busses were much slower. We were looking at busses because they seemed to go much closer to where the Staten Island Ferry leaves. But maybe what we will do instead is go first to either the WTC or the VM, then go to the ferry, then the other as suggested via subway.

I also think we will go straight to Central Park after downtown also as suggested. I want to go downtown first because I think if we go to Central Park first we just may end up spending the day there (LOL), but also as suggested, if we go to the top of the rock and it's dark, or the sun is setting it will still look great . So we will do that after CP instead of before.

And since we don't plan to shop, we don't need time in Times Square. I do want to do it last so we can see it lit up. As I'm typing it's amostt 7pm and getting dark, so we should be good!!