We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Visit -Itinerary look ok? and a few questions

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
138 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
Short Visit -Itinerary look ok? and a few questions

We are 2 Chicago couples taking a short first time visit to NYC in September. I have researched what we want to do and have put together a basic itinerary. I have put ? where I have questions. Any input would be appreciated!

We're still researching restaurants for dinner. SO many good places to choose, so we're fine on figuring that on our own.

Sunday - Flight arrives @ 12:30

Arrive @ Hotel(The Setai) 400 5th Ave 1:30 - drop bags

Walk down 5th Ave from the Setai to Central Park

Shop/Meander .. possibly go through Frick Museum

Lunch on 5th Ave - Where?

Central Park Carriage Ride? 45 min ride( I want to do this, but one in our party does not.. due to animal issues.. any other way to see Central Park, can we walk through in 45 min or an hour?)

Cab back To Hotel 6ish

Dinner 8pm

After dinner- Empire State Building- express pass make reservation

Monday

10am- 4pm Real NYC Tour Private Big Apple

Dinner 7:30

Comedy or Music Club 10pm

Tuesday

9:00 am - NBC tour or Rockfeller Center Tour

Top of the Rock

Times Square

Lunch - Katz Deli (cab to)

205 E Houston Street, New York City, NY

Afternoon

See or walk Brooklyn Bridge

Staten Island Ferry 1.5 hours

6:15 Sardis or where? - for drinks and appetizers b/4 play

Play 7:30 Marquis Theatre Evita

On broadway between 45-46th

Dinner 9:30/10 -near theatre

Wednesday

10am - Wall Street Tour-Financial Crisis Tour

Lunch(possible food tour) 12-2 or quick lunch and

Afternoon -museum or ?

6:15 flight Leave for Aiport at 4?LGA

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Visit -Itinerary look ok? and a few questions

DAY 1

Sunday - Flight arrives @ 12:30

Arrive @ Hotel(The Setai) 400 5th Ave 1:30 - drop bags

NOT sure which airport you are talking about but 1:30 is optimistic

Walk down 5th Ave from the Setai to Central Park

You will walk UP 5th Avenue - numbers go up you are walking uptown

Shop/Meander .. possibly go through Frick Museum

By the time you meander to 72nd - it will be near closing time - Take a public bus up Madison

Lunch on 5th Ave - Where?

It will be long past lunchtime when you get to the City

Central Park Carriage Ride? 45 min ride( I want to do this, but one in our party does not.. due to animal issues.. any other way to see Central Park, can we walk through in 45 min or an hour?)

Central Park is 2.5 miles by .5 miles -- The carriage rides will show you little and be expensive for both you and the horses

Cab back To Hotel 6ish

Or Take a public bus down 5th Avenue back to the hotel

Dinner 8pm

After dinner- Empire State Building- express pass make reservation

I would take a cab or a public bus up Madison and meander back through the Park and down 5th

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Visit -Itinerary look ok? and a few questions

I would ditch the cabs and ride the bus or subway.

The best way to see the park is to walk it. Many folks here have issues with horses being mistreated and inhaling exhaust fumes all day,in the heat. They break my heart

And everything ztaks said

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Visit -Itinerary look ok? and a few questions

You can subway to Katz's and I would wander around the Lower East side and East Village while you are there -- Do go to Il lab oratorio del Gelato -- I prefer the Meatball Shop to Katz's --- and skip ESB and just do Top of the Rock

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
138 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Visit -Itinerary look ok? and a few questions

Thank you all for your help! I will follow your advice! (mostly)

We are flying into LGA.. will not be checking luggage and getting in at 12:30 on a Sunday.. hopefully it won't take too much longer than and hour, to an hour and a half to get to our hotel.

I will look into the subway/buses and take the public transportation- on Monday with the real NY tour we will be doing that as well.. and I have now decided against the carriage ride too.. I just always thought that was what one did in Central Park, but the horse issues are why my friend was against it

I think it is a great idea to bus UP to Central Park, walk around, and then work our way back..

The only thing I have to stick to is the Katz deli.. that is on my friends must do...

Edited: 17 July 2012, 13:02
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Visit -Itinerary look ok? and a few questions

There aren't a lot of restaurants ON Fifth ave.  Heading north from your hotel, you'll soon come to the NY Public Library at 42 st. with Bryant Park behind it.  There are various food carts in the park and the Bryant Park Grill with both inside and outside tables.  At 49 th st is the start of the Rockefeller Center complex with a food court below and a number of other options like the Rock Center Cafe and Brassreie Ruhlmann.  My pick would be to continue up to 59th st where Central Park begins and go to the basement of the Plaza hotel where you'll find a food hall with lots of different options.

www.yelp.com/biz/the-plaza-food-hall-new-york

I don't think you'll have time to meander, eat, go to Central Park and do the Frick.  You should probably eliminate 1 thing.

For dinner, if you want something nicer, the restaurant in your hotel, Ai Fiori,  is very well regarded.   They have a good value prix fixe lunch if you want to try it that way.  There's an Italian restaurant Mario's Trattoria west of the hotel that gets good reviews on menupages.com

menupages.com/restaurants/marios-trattoria/

Not sure I see the point of going to Times Square during the day.  You'll be the in the evening when you go to the theater which is far more impressive and it's somewhat out of your way between Top of the Rock and Katz's deli.  The lower east side whe Katz's deli is is worth a bit of exploring.  I would nix the Staten Island ferry and instead do a cruise that you pay for that gets closer to the Statue of Liberty.

Drinks at Sardi's is a good idea.  Not sure what apps they have but it's more about the history of the place ( and I think their drinks are good!). Another option is the View bar inside the Marriott Marquis hotel, directly across from rhe theater.  It's overpriced and touristy but the only place that revolves.

You'll be hitting rush hour traffic to make your flight.  I'd order a car service like

Dial7.com

Allstatelimo.com

and leave a bit before 4.

You could have a nice leisurely fancy lunch at a place like Bouley, not far from Wall st. or something more casual in Tribeca or Soho.

Metuchen, New Jersey
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Visit -Itinerary look ok? and a few questions

Yes, scratch Times Square during the day. It is full of people rushing back from work in Midtown, and it's not really a sight until the lights come on. As for tours, you seem to have an interesting one picked out, but I suggest Big Onion Walking Tours. The way I like to see Central Park is to walk up Central Park West from Columbus Circle and then to turn in at the Dakota to see the John Lennon Memorial, Strawberry Fields. Just a little mosaic, but it's touching to see the flowers and notes people leave.

Have fun--you've put a lot of thought into your trip (and have gotten some valuable suggestions above). Ann

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
138 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short Visit -Itinerary look ok? and a few questions

We chose a private tour with Real New York Tours based on the reviews on TA. Its a little different than the walking tours, we will also be taking the subway to see some of the neighborhoods and many touristy sites as well.

Based on all the wonderful info I've received personally and by reading other posts we have changed a few things, and have added our restaurants

Briefly-

Sunday

Lunch at Plaza Hall Food Court

walk around Central Park

Walk down 5th to our hotel - shop.. a little

Dinner- Keens Steakhouse

after Empire State Building

Monday

Real NYC tour

Dinner Juniors Cheesecake Times Square

after Times Square

Tuesday

Rockefeller Center Tour

subway to South St. Seaport

Zepher Statue of Liberty Express Tour

Lunch Katz Deli

explore Greenwich village

Theater- Evita

dinner afterwards at Little Owl( I know its not walking distance)

Wednesday

am - we're leaving open to plan to see whatever we must see

late lunch - Meatball Shop

pickup bags at hotel- go to airport!

I love Chicago.. but we all are really looking forward to our trip to see NYC!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
138 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short Visit -Itinerary look ok? and a few questions

UPDATE- Back from a great trip

review here- tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5782800…

We pretty much stuck to the Itinerary, except went on the Zepher tour after our Real NYC city tour on Monday, since the weather was looking bad for Tuesday - but they were wrong.

And we nixed the Rockefeller center tour. Went back to the WTC site Tuesday morning and then in the afternoon walked around Rockefeller center on our own.

Couldn't get a cab after the play to Little Owl, so had 2 dinners at Keens..

And Wednesday had time to do a uptown HOHO tour to see the rest of Manhattan.

Great Trip.

9. Re: Short Visit -Itinerary look ok? and a few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2013, 19:17