We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January 2014

Darlington, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
January 2014

I know this is quite a way off but I am hoping to plan a trip to New York as a surprise for my husband whilst he is in Afghanistan. I am planning on telling him on his birthday in April, just before he returns home and I would therefore like to make some plans. Could anyone let me know if there are any companies/hotels that would let me plan this far in advance or if I will need to wait until after January 2013??

Could you also please let me know if you have any hints/tips for where to stay/what to do etc at that time of the year? We haven't ever been to New York before so we don't really know much about where best to stay or how much to expect to pay for flights/hotel. Also, how long would you recommend staying for? I was thinking 5 nights, is this too short? Any help would be much appreciated. We would like to stay in a nice hotel that is pretty central but don’t want to spend too much on the hotel as I’m assuming there is so much to see and do we won’t spend that much time in the hotel?? I would like to draw up an itinerary and have things booked before we get there so again, any recommendations would be grately appreciated. Could you also please let me know if there is anywhere I should be aware of that offer military discount? Thanks….sorry for all the questions!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January 2014

I think 5 nights is pretty much a minimum - try to do 7 days plus if you can.

I think Jan 2013 is still early to start looking as you will see rack rates only -you can always book some cancellable with no penalty but wont see good airfare prices at that stage. www.kayak.com is good for airfare.

There is really no one central location in NYC - just be near a subway stop.

Personally, I would stay away from Times Sq and the like - there are lots of neighbourhood choices but you can narrow it down close to the time.

Darlington, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: January 2014

Thank you for your reply. When would be best to start looking/booking to get the best deals? I always thought it would be best to book early? Why would you stay away from Times Sq? Is that not quite central? Sorry as you can probably tell, I don't know a great deal about NYC

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January 2014

Times Sq is the MOST touristy part of NYC - there is not much good there in terms of nightlife, shopping etc and is very very crowded. It does have very good transport links but as I say you only need to be near a subway stop.

I would start looking at Hotels early next year - as I say book something cancellable asap that you can cancel with no penalty.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January 2014

you are indeed much much too early for your planning--- first quarter of 2013 would be the absolute earliest and even then you should be looking just to get a room booked that you can cancel

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January 2014

I suggest you start looking at NYE hotel rates for this year to get a sense of what to expect for next year. Hotel rates around that time are fairly reasonable (by NYC standards), but for NYE itself rates are very high. Hotel booking sites will show you the average nightly rate for your entire stay.

I agree that it is far too early to book. Most hotels won't even accept reservations this far in advance and you'll have no realistic concept of all the hotels that will have available rooms and what their real prices will be.

Reading the Top Questions section of this forum will give you a crash course in NYC neighborhoods, along with a lot of ideas of things to do. You can further investigate the ones that appeal to you.

A few random notes: It can be very cold that time of year, but the Christmas decorations are spectacular. If you want to do the Times Square crowds for NYE, it's best to book one of the big chain restaurant parties (yes, it's way too early for 2014), otherwise you have to stand in the cold for many hours with no bathroom and no food/drink. There are plenty of things to do away from Times Square for a special NYE celebration.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: January 2014

I suggest you get a map of the City and guide book to get some basic knowledge of what is what and where it is....this would be invaluable in planning this special trip.

Poppa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,457 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: January 2014

Absolutely agree about the guidebook and map; you will need them when you are here anyway and getting it in advance will help you plan.

There is no "central" location to most "sites" - they are spread out everywhere and as long as you are near a subway stop, as mentioned, you will be perfectly fine getting where you want to go.

And I very much agree about not staying in Times Square - obviously, everyone wants to go to see it - but, I think staying somewhere more "real" (for lack of a better word) would be far more interesting.

Have fun planning - it is a nice surprise!

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: January 2014

I have just returned from nyc.my husband and i went 3rd to 8th jan for the first time and it was amazing.christmas tree at the rockafella plaza beautiful,ice rinks, lights everywhere,cold but sunny and dry.we stayed on lexington avenue walkin distance to most attractions.we got a new york pass b4 we went so could do loads of stuff.u will not c it all so enjpy what u can c!!

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: January 2014

I have just returned from nyc.my husband and i went 3rd to 8th jan for the first time and it was amazing.christmas tree at the rockafella plaza beautiful,ice rinks, lights everywhere,cold but sunny and dry.we stayed on lexington avenue walkin distance to most attractions.we got a new york pass b4 we went so could do loads of stuff.u will not c it all so enjpy what u can c!!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: January 2014

I have booked to go to New York next January direct with BA, half decent hotel almost in Times Square 5 nights from Heathrow less than £700 each bargain