We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reduced Fare Metro (RFM) card-NYC

Santa Fe NM
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Reduced Fare Metro (RFM) card-NYC

I am 65 but do not live in NY, am I eligible for an RFM card so I can purchase a RF 7 day pass when I visit? I can find no residency requirements on the MTA website.

If eligible, i plan to order by mail. Does anyone know approximately how long this will take?

I visit NYC often, so think this will be of value.

Thanks,

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reduced Fare Metro (RFM) card-NYC

I bought it last time I was in New York but not by mail...I just went to the office downtown and purchased it there ...had no problems and did not have to wair very long...I don't know what the letters RFM stand for I am talking about the senior discount card they offer...I will use it for my next trip this summer...

hope this helps

silly me...I just read what RFM stood for in your title...

Edited: 09 June 2012, 23:48
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,443 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reduced Fare Metro (RFM) card-NYC

You can apply by mail, but you'll need to submit a photo and get the application notarized. Here's the URL for doing this:

http://mta.info/nyct/fare/pdf/seniors.pdf

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reduced Fare Metro (RFM) card-NYC

You see no residency requirements because there are none; anyone 65 and older can get one. While you can apply by mail, if you visit NYC often, you might find it easier to get it in person -- just walk into the customer service center down on Stone Street, and they will take your photo right then and there, and you can walk out that same day with your new card.

Be aware that other than on the application for the item itself, absolutely nobody in New York City calls a Reduced-Fare MetroCard an "RFM card". In order to be understood by anybody (including NYC Transit employees who don't work in the Stone Street office!) you need to talk about a reduced-fare metroCard, rather than an RFM card.

Santa Fe NM
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reduced Fare Metro (RFM) card-NYC

Thanks all, got it. will pay attention to subway speak.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reduced Fare Metro (RFM) card-NYC

I don't believe there is any reduced fare 7 day card---- it is all pay as you go at $1.10 per ride and if you do enough to match a reduced fare 30 day card they just don't charge you---- that is the way mine works

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reduced Fare Metro (RFM) card-NYC

We got our senior cards at the MTA Customer Service office at 3 Stone Street near Bowling Green (south end of Manhattan). The entire process took about 25 minutes; the folks there took the "headshots" with no charge. Be sure to bring a picture ID and your Medicare card or another document that proves your age.

CH

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,443 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reduced Fare Metro (RFM) card-NYC

Bilmin:

You're not correct. There is a reduced fare weekly unlimited Metrocard available. It costs $14.50. What you have is the easy pay option, which is different.

After you submit an application (either by mail or in person) you get a Metrocard. Whatever fare value you buy is then loaded onto that card.

Edited: 10 June 2012, 04:37
Santa Fe NM
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reduced Fare Metro (RFM) card-NYC

OP-thanks that's what I read on website

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reduced Fare Metro (RFM) card-NYC

CW (OP):

More recently the MTA has implemented an alternative payment system that may be better for seniors who (only) periodically use the public transit: users can request that they load the senior cards themselves, and this can be done at any subway kiosk using cash or debit/credit cards. Though please note that these newer senior cards may be different from the traditional "easypay" senior cards. This is our preferred method as we frequently do not use the system for months at a time.

CH

Edited: 10 June 2012, 05:59
10. Re: Reduced Fare Metro (RFM) card-NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 12:42