We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenwich Village walk

Shepperton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Greenwich Village walk

Hi. I've planned out a walk using Google Maps. I wanted a walk - 3 miles max - to take us down the High Line, through Greenwich Village, to Katz Deli area.

I plan to join the High Line at W 23rd St (get off bus travelled down 9th Ave)

I wanted to walk past:

75 Bedford St (narrowest House in NY)

Bleecker St (great shops and delis)

See Katz Deli

Merchants House Museum (open after 12)

My question is - what else can I add to my walk as points of interest. Quirky things would be great. Things I can point out to my kids on the way, streets to add to our walk.

I plan to start our walk in the morning and pick up nice foodie bits on the way. Plan to be at the Merchant House Museum early afternoon. I'd really love some input into our walk.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,790 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenwich Village walk

That would be 3 separate days for me!

We're also planning on walking the High Line, but when I get off (rather than on) around 23rd I've found some quirky stops...the house where Clement Moore lived (he wrote "The Night Before Christmas"), the original Thomas' English Muffin factory, gardens on 22nd from a Theological Seminary (yikes, my notes just say G. Theol. Sem, can't remember what "G" stands for). I'm also going to walk east to look at the (closed) Chelsea Hotel.

Continuing east from there you'll also hit the Flatiron Building.

I'm pretty sure the Village and LES are way, way south of that lateral.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenwich Village walk

Pick up inside the Apple to learn more about the places you will be wandering through. Check the walks at the end.

…typepad.com/explorenyc/2010/01/manhattan-ph…

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greenwich Village walk

Even if we gave you directions in the Village you would get lost anyway-- I have been here 11 years and travelled to the city for 30 years and I still get lost there--- just wander--- there is a surprise around every corner--- PS katz's is in the Lower east side not the village.

Shepperton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greenwich Village walk

Hi. I'm not really looking for directions - just interesting things to look out for. Although I don't mind wandering, my kids need an incentive to explore. Cupcakes, cheese and doughnuts are all an added incentive!

Thanks for the tip about the book - I've just ordered it from Amazon.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greenwich Village walk

When you find Katzs your kids will really enjoy il lab oratorio del gelato across the street. Tell them to be brave and try some of the more exotic flavors.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,790 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greenwich Village walk

At the old Chelsea Hotel there is a branch of the Doughnut Plant - we're stopping there, yum.

How old are the kids? I often thought it would be really cool to visit the Tenement Museum and the Merchant House in the same day, to see how the haves and the have-nots lived. But I think there is a minimum age on the Tenement Museum tours.

Also in that area is Economy Candy, which is crammed to the rafters with anything you can imagine (some oldies but goodies for me). It's not one of those sterile, jelly beans in bins types of places, it's rather chaotic.

Oh, and when you're in the Village part of your tour, Murray's Cheese has a ton of choices...I'm not sure if they give out samples.

And what we did at Laboratorio del gelato is try the tiny tastes of the weird ones - olive oil, basil, etc. - then get a full scoop of something we really liked.

Edited: 21 May 2012, 08:30
Shepperton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greenwich Village walk

Hi. They are 12 and 14 - so definately up for trying new things! I did want to visit the Tenement museum but I think it may be too much walking. Also - I have to save something for next time!

Ice cream - tick! Doughnuts - tick! Cheese - tick! :-)

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greenwich Village walk

The Tenement museum is only about a 7 minute walk from Katz's deli.

Just a thought... you can get good Ice cream, doughnuts and pretty much cheese anywhere in the U.S. Since you'll be in NYC, think about cheesecake, bagels, pizza, pastrami on rye... the list goes on.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greenwich Village walk

You can also get your list almost anywhere in the US too. The best Cheesecake is probably in NYC---- bagels and Pastrami on rye in any Jewish deli around the country and Pizza in the North end of Boston would be my choices. With today's world travel it does not take long for the good stuff to spread.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greenwich Village walk

Chumleys is located at 86 Bedford street , it's a pretty famous bar/restaurant that used to be an old speakeasy during prohibition. Not sure if it will be open in the morning. Magnolias is a famous cupcake shop on bleeker street. Washington square park is very famous, and should definitely not be missed. As you make your way to the tenement museum you will not be far from the Essex street market which houses some neat little cheese shops, bakeries, candy shops, etc. from there you can walk down Stanton street which has some of the best brunch places in manhattan, including the Stanton social, my personal favorite and a great little macaroon shop.

Good luck and have fun!