We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airtrain and Metro

Waco, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Airtrain and Metro

Arriving in New York April 20 - 25 and staying at the Hilton Club on West 6th street. We will be flying into JFK. Which would be a better deal for 2 people:

1. 7 day unlimited pass x 2 and 4 airtrain tickets (each way on airtrain)

or

2. Pay as you go Metro card

The 2 places that will be the furthest to travel will be Citi field to see the Mets and Cooney Island (my wife wants to see). Everything else is on Manhattan Island with a lot of sights to be seen on foot.

Was in D.C. earlier and just put cash on the Metro card which turned about to be $25. Wasnt sure how the NY Metro worked.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,175 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airtrain and Metro

IMO, just get the unlimited card. You will be catching trains and buses more than you realise, it gets very tiring seeing things on foot ;-) Then you can just take the subway without worrying about how much you have left on your card.

Plus Manhattan is bigger than you think.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airtrain and Metro

New York City has a subway, and the fares are always the same no matter how far you travel. Without knowing exactly how many times you plan to take the subway and city buses, we can't do exact math for you, but with six days you'll almost certainly do better with the unlimited Metrocards.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airtrain and Metro

Note, by the way, that you are NOT staying at anything on "West 6th Street." There is no "West 6th Street" in Manhattan, and being careless and sloppy in that way about the names of streets in New York City is a sure-fire way of getting spectacularly lost.

Your hotel is on Sixth AVENUE, not the non-existent "6th Street". Avenues and Streets in Manhattan run in opposite directions at right angles to each other, so you really do need to know which you are talking about when giving an address. The exact location of the "Hilton Club" is in the New York Hilton hotel, which is a far more recognizable name, and which is on Sixth Avenue between West 53rd and West 54th Streets.

Also note that there is no "Metro" in New York City, and if you insist on calling it that, few people here will know what you are talking about. New York City has a SUBWAY, and that is the only way the people who live here refer to it. Speaking of a "Metro" in NYC is as odd and inappropriate as speaking of the "Metro" in London, or the ""Tube" in Paris.

As noted by BrooklynBrdge, the distance you travel is irrelevant, as there are no zones on the subway. What matters is that you are here for 5 days. The break-even point for pay-per-ride and unlimited cards is 13 rides; as you will almost certainly be using subways and buses more than 13 times in 5 days, you should get the unlimited card.

Waco, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airtrain and Metro

Thanks for the replies. Did not mean to offend anyone by calling the subway the metro. I have only been to the northeast one other time

, so I am not familiar with what nickname the subway is called for each town. The only other town I have been to with a subway is Washington D.C. and they call it the metro. Once again I apologize.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,424 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airtrain and Metro

No one is offended. We're just making sure you don't get directed to the MetroNorth commuter trains out of town when you get here and ask for directions.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airtrain and Metro

It is really to your benefit to get the names right..:). I can't imagine where you would have wound up if you were looking for W 6th St..

I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but looking for a non-existant street in an unfamiliar city seems dangerous to me, as does looking for the subway but being directed to Metro-north, which is a commuter train to points north of NYC. Not to mention a possible huge waste of precious vacation time

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,841 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airtrain and Metro

Just to add to the confusion. The Avenue the Hilton is on has not been called Sixth Avenue for many many many years. Its formal and correct name is Avenue of the Americas--that is what you will see on the sign. However, no NYorker EVER calls it anything but 6th Ave, but just so you know!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airtrain and Metro

Actually, rdglady, while the official name has been "Avenue of the Americas" since 1945, some time ago the City gave up on pretending people call it that, and so at intersections you will therefore see TWO street signs, one above the other, as you go down the street in question. One sign will indicate that it is called "Avenue of the Americas", but the other next to it will clearly indicate that you are travelling on "6th Avenue."

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airtrain and Metro

and 99.9% of the people will know exactly what you mean when you ask about the Metro--- It has become more of a worldwide generic term for a public transportation system than subway. Unless you specify Metro North you will indeed be directed to the nearest subway station. If you ask about the Subway you are more likely to be directed to the Sandwich shop by the same name.

Rutland
Level Contributor
49 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airtrain and Metro

Strange how the unlimited card has Metrocard written across it!!