We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your Top Five Things to Do in New York City

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Your Top Five Things to Do in New York City

If someone who had never been to New York before were to say they could only do five things while they were there, which five things would you recommend they do?

Feel free to recommend things that aren't the normal tourist traps (we probably know about those already!) and if you want to say why you'd recommend these things, that would be greatly appreciated!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your Top Five Things to Do in New York City

Have you seen this list from the FAQ?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s409/New-York-…

I don't think there are 5 things that are best for EVERYONE. Your likes/interests/idiosyncrasies come into play.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your Top Five Things to Do in New York City

I know there's definitely no five things for everyone, that's why I wanted to get a rounded idea of what different people think.

I hadn't seen that list though, and it looks very helpful - thanks :-)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your Top Five Things to Do in New York City

I agree with the others and some things, I've been there done that and wouldn't have missed it for the world ... but I'm not doing it on EVERY trip. For example, I truly believe everybody should go to the top of the Empire State building ... it's just such an iconic thing to do ... I did it in the 1980s and again 3 years ago ... and it will be a long time before I do it again ... but I would recommend it to a first timer ....

That said ... I'll list a few of MY favorite things ... raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens ... oh wait, you want NEW YORK favorites.

* Top of the Rock

* Walking the Brooklyn Bridge

* Seeing a Broadway show

* Central Park

* Ellis Island

* Tenement museum

* Metropolitan Museum of Art

* And just plain walking around, soaking up the atmosphere

(although again, I wouldn't do the last three EVERY TIME I visit!)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your Top Five Things to Do in New York City

A list of random items of things I've done that made me love NYC and always make me smile:

1. Find a diner in Manhattan for breakfast on a weekday. Grab a booth by the window and enjoy a hearty breakfast while watching the city rush by. Many many moons ago on my first trip (1997) I stopped and did this on my first morning in the city, an old booth type diner down about 29/30th but I'd be shocked if I ever found it again (if it even still exists)!

2. Stop off at Juniors for cheesecake after taking in a Broadway show.

3. In the winter if you're over with a loved one buy some warm nuts from a street vendor and take a couple of hours just strolling through Central Park.

4. Take in a big event. A show, a gig or a sporting event.

5. Take the time to walk about and explore rather than rush between the big attractions. I'm probably a tourist nightmare for locals as I walk the streets just soaking in the city and getting distracted by shops, restaurants etc. Always wanting to check the little off beat places out. More so any place selling coffee or food!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your Top Five Things to Do in New York City

I would go to 5 different bars, and sample 5 different local breweries beers.

You really need to be more specific, or you'll get things suggested that you might not be interested in.

M

P.S Who am I kidding, I'd sample 5 beers in EACH bar... :D

Edited: 23 February 2012, 01:17
Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Your Top Five Things to Do in New York City

I think we have most of the stuff on the first timers list on our itinerary..whether we will manage it all is another matter!! When do you go?

I have this feeling that one visit won't be enough, yet I have no idea when we will be able to afford to go again, so the idea is rightly or wrongly to pack in as much as we can. But I would say from what I have read on here, that it is a pretty good list!!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,414 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your Top Five Things to Do in New York City

Assuming good weather:

The Southstreet Seaport. Drinks at the Heartland Brewery, watching any street performers, food from an outdoor vendor.

A show of some sort, but this might include a concert, an opera, or a ballet.

Brunch in the West Village, probably at the Tavern on Jane.

An exbibit at one of the mueums. e.g. the Whitney, MOMA, whatever. Either one of the permanent ones or something special. Matisse and Picasso a few years ago.

A walk through Central Park to see the runners, bikers, in-line skaters, and to have a hot pretzel.

(six would have been various appitizers and drinks sitting at a bar someplace)

Pjk

Edited: 23 February 2012, 02:53
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your Top Five Things to Do in New York City

My five:

If there's a parade on when you're in town, go see it or at least part of it (Halloween, Thanksgiving, St Patrick's Day etc.).

Go to a comedy club. Most are bound to be a little (or a lot) on the touristy side, but it's still great fun to see high-calibre standup comics live. About 100x better than watching them on TV.

Walking, mostly aimless exploring, and lots of it! Preferably capped with drinks at a randomly chosen neighbourhood pub.

Have one gourmet meal unlike anything you can find at home. If money is tight, make it a lunch special -- many of the top places have them, and while they aren't exactly cheap they are usually much more affordable than evening meals.

Take in one of the major tourist attractions that affords a fantastic view - Empire State Building, Top of the Rock, Brooklyn Bridge facing Manhattan, etc. If your visit is a short one, don't worry about fitting in more than one of them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your Top Five Things to Do in New York City

My five:

1. A subway ride. I don't feel like I'm in New York until I get on it.

2. Grand Central Station- I like to walk fast and pretend I have somewhere to go.

3. Just walking around- You discover soooo much just strolling around. Don't be shy. Just pop in and out of shops as you please.

4. A ride on the Wonder Wheel

5. A Broadway show- Find cheap tickets at broadwaybox.com. I have been checking into the broadwayworld forum too and they post deals. Through them , I've snagged 20$ tickets to Harvey and Anything Goes AND 30$ tickets to War Horse.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,414 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your Top Five Things to Do in New York City

For people coming to NY for a first time in the spring, summer or fall, one of the street fairs that seem to go on in various places around the city every weekend.

Pjk