We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help entertain the kids in NYC cheap and different

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Help entertain the kids in NYC cheap and different

Hubby was sent to queens for 30 days on work assignment and I'm planning on visiting with the kids ages 16, 10, 8 and 7! I'm looking for some unique activities that will keep them entertained while dad works for most part of the day and evening, We will be going Thursday 2/23-2/25 or 2/26. I'm planning on visiting the Sony wonder tech lab but I'm at a lost since its winter and we have really done many of the tourist things on previous trips. Any tips or recommendation would be appreciated.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help entertain the kids in NYC cheap and different

Do a trip out to Flushing Meadow Park via the 7 train. The Hall of Science will be fun for all,

http://www.nysci.org/

and you can stop in at the Queens Museum (also int he park) and see the Panorama.

queensmuseum.org/exhibitions/visitpanorama

Get some pictures with the unisphere, and then hop back on the #7 train to head to Main Street in Flushing for a Chinese or Korean meal.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help entertain the kids in NYC cheap and different

Also go to the Museum of the moving image

New York, NY
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help entertain the kids in NYC cheap and different

My favorite non-obvious things to do in NYC.

--The Panorama at the Queens museum of art. An entire scale model of the city of New York, including every building in the city (as of 1992). I think it only costs $5.

--The New York City Transit Museum in Brooklyn. An subway station converted to a museum dedicated to the history of the NYC subway system. (complete with old subway cars from different ages that you can walk around in).

--Socrates Sculpture Park in Astoria, Queens. Just like it sounds, a large park on the waterfront filled with ever-changing sculptures.

--Roosevelt Island Tram. Get to Roosevelt Island the fun way, via the MTA's tram. Provides amazing views of the Queensboro bridge and midtown Manhattan.

--Fort Tilden. An old army fort turned park in the Rockaways

--Inwood Hill Park. Woods...in Manhattan?!? Note, a forest may not be as much of a novelty to you as it is to use New Yorkers.

--Walk across the George Washington Bridge. Some of the best views in the city.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help entertain the kids in NYC cheap and different

If you wanted to go to the hall of science in queens, you may want to time your visit during free admission hours....

here is the link....

http://www.nysci.org/visit/1428642/admissions

we usually go on sundays at 10am and it doesn't get too crowded until after 12.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,579 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help entertain the kids in NYC cheap and different

The Museum of the Moving Image is awesome, and I highly recommend it for kids.

6. Re: Help entertain the kids in NYC cheap and different

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:15