We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Guardia to Newark Airport - No train from La Guardia?

USA
Level Contributor
846 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
La Guardia to Newark Airport - No train from La Guardia?

I need to get from La Guardia to Newark Airport. Any ideas for the best way? Do I need to take a bus/taxi to Penn Station and then train to Newark Airport? Thanks.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,894 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Guardia to Newark Airport - No train from La Guardia?

There is no train service from LGA to anywhere. LGA is basically stranded off the rail system. So yes; the best bet is to take a taxi to Penn Station and then the train to Newark.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Guardia to Newark Airport - No train from La Guardia?

You can take the Q.33 bus from LaGuardia to the last stop (20 - 25 minutes) and transfer to the Manhattan bound E train in the direction of World Trade Center. The E train stops at Penn Station where you can get the NJ Transit train to Newark Airport. You can (in theory) do the whole trip for under $15.00 but you'd need to acquire a MetroCard at LaGuardia.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: La Guardia to Newark Airport - No train from La Guardia?

Hopefully you don't have to get between them quickly - that's not a fun transfer. How much time do you have?

If you have more time than money, you could take a city bus to a subway to Penn Station, and get the NJTranit to Newark's AirTrain from there. Let us know which directions you want, and I'll provide them.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Guardia to Newark Airport - No train from La Guardia?

Great urban planning huh? Let's build an airport and then not provide a way to get there by train. Of course, you can take the bus. Have fun with that. Some times you just gotta bite the bullet and shell out for a cab.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: La Guardia to Newark Airport - No train from La Guardia?

I live in perpetual hope that, just as they eventually buit the AirTrains out to JFK and EWR, they'll do the same for LGA someday.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,894 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Guardia to Newark Airport - No train from La Guardia?

There was a report from the Regional Plan Association about that last year. While there is an option - building a spur from the LIRR line at Woodside - there is such a total lack of political will and funding, the RPA pretty much assured us it wouldn't happen for decades, at least.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: La Guardia to Newark Airport - No train from La Guardia?

Shhhhh. Don't burst my hope bubble.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Guardia to Newark Airport - No train from La Guardia?

Meh....I don't think LGA is that inaccessible. My first time there, I took a cab to my hotel and a car service back to the airport when I left. Now that I'm more confident with my mass transist skills, I take the M60 bus to Astoria-Dittmars, then subway to my hotel and the reverse going back. Cheap and reliable.

As others have suggested, if you've got the time, you can take a combo of bus/subway/train. If you're in a hurry, cab to Penn, then train is probably your best bet. Ugh with these inter-airport transfers.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: La Guardia to Newark Airport - No train from La Guardia?

I agree that the bus to LGA isn't bad. I do it all the time. We're just spoiled with the AirtTrains now, and I always feel bad for the regular commuters on the M60 who have to ride with tourists with luggage day in and day out. Maybe someday they'll run an airport express bus that stops at 110th and Broadway, 125th and Broadway, 125th and Lex, and Astoria Boulevard before continuing directly to the airpiort. I'd gladly pay an Express bus fare for such a ride, and implementing such a thing wouldn't cost much in terms of infrastructure costs.

USA
Level Contributor
846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Guardia to Newark Airport - No train from La Guardia?

Anyone know the website with the bus schedule for the Q.33 bus from LaGuardia and the E train that stops at Penn Station? If I took a cab instead, how long would the drive take? Thanks so much.