We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vacation apartment rentals via TA - safe?

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
vacation apartment rentals via TA - safe?

Hi

I'm coming from London to stay in NY, we've found a couple of available apartments via TA. The replies we've had back have all come through TA & FlipKey, I just wanted to see if there's any way I can double check the rental is legitimate before I get to the stage of paying a deposit?

I'm sure there isn't a single answer for this for every case but are there any 3rd party checks carried out by TA on apartments for rent and the people renting them?

Without having anyone there physically to go and see the apartment is there any way I can check it's all above board?

Would really appreciate help and advice from someone with some experience....

thanks

Joe

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vacation apartment rentals via TA - safe?

No more safe or unsafe than craig's list or other places, and most are probably not legal short term rentals.

Please look at the top questions on the right of the forum posts and read the 2nd one.

Also, check out this thread for info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5095780…

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,073 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: vacation apartment rentals via TA - safe?

If you give us the address, I'd be happy to check on the legality to the best of my ability through the publically available information on the building, but be aware that virtually all short-term rentals of apartments in New York CIty, including thoise found on FlipKey and TA, are not legitimate. They're almost all illegal, and some are also scams. TA and FlipKey do no checks at all, and do not consider themselves responsible for checking local laws regarding rentals. They leave that to the traveller.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
783 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: vacation apartment rentals via TA - safe?

TA does not check the apartments in its listings or the people renting them out.

This is emphatically stated in the TripAdvisor Terms of Use section of this website (the original is entirely in capital letters, but I can't post it that way):

"The information, software, products, and services published on this website may include inaccuracies or errors. TripAdvisor, its subsidiaries and corporate affiliates (collectively, the 'TripAdvisor media group companies') do not guarantee the accuracy of, and disclaim all liability for any errors or other inaccuracies relating to the information and description of the hotel, air, cruise, car and any other travel products displayed on this website (including, without limitation, the pricing, photographs, list of hotel amenities, general product descriptions, etc.)."

http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/terms.html

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vacation apartment rentals via TA - safe?

Discalimer: I work in a hotel.

Here is the web address of the New York City Dept of Buildings: www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/bis/bis.shtml

Check to see if he location is a Class A building. A class A building is the designation for residentail properties and it is not legal to rent those properties to transients (by definition, a transient is someone who rents for less than one month).

You can also check complaints, violations, etc on that site.

Google maps also has a street view function so you can see the building.

Rental buildings and Co-Op buildings are almost all not legal for transient rentals, and have the additional problem of needing the building owner's approval. Other red flage can be found by checking out the secondposting in the top questions section on the upper right side of the screen.

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: vacation apartment rentals via TA - safe?

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it

this is the apartment

flipkey.com/new-york-city-condo-rentals/…

6. Re: vacation apartment rentals via TA - safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2013, 15:59
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vacation apartment rentals via TA - safe?

people offer alternatives all the time - this thread is actually over a year old

budget? number of beds? exact dates?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vacation apartment rentals via TA - safe?

Radiocityapartments.com

Is one of the legal budget apt. Hotels. For how long do you usually stay?

9. Re: vacation apartment rentals via TA - safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 17:16