We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Christmas - NYE

South Carolina
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Christmas - NYE

Ok finally a trip report about NYE in Times Square, lol.

Arrived LGA Christmas afternoon, easy cab ride to my hotel the Novotel.

Novotel - Booked a Times Square view room back in April for this week. $3,000 for 7 days but worth it i/m/o for a bucket list item. They guarantee that view based on the room type description. The view did not disappoint. Located on 52nd St I had a clear shot of the ball and Times Square. I was on the 20th floor.

The room - About 3 stars.

The good -

View, view, view.

Huge Hotel Patio overlooking Times Square on the 5th floor. The hotel charged for NYE party tickets at the restaurant that also overlooks Times Square but any hotel guest could go out on the balcony to watch the ball drop.

Room service was very good.

3 free computers in the lobby for guests to use. Also an X Box station for the kids to play on a large screen tv.

Location - Steps from transit and restaurants.

What could be better -

Internet was very spotty. Was free because of a chain wide promo but was often down.

Slow elevators

Cleanliness - Room was fine but a little attention to detail would be nice. The rooms need to be updated.

Shower - Over 5'5" and you will need to squat to shower.

Safe would not accommodate a large screen laptop.

12/25

Dinner at Heartland Brewery - Bad food, bad service, automatic 20% tip applied for a party of 2

12/26

Rockefeller Center - Saw tree and rink. Based on comments I heard I think the tree was better in previous years. Granted it has been up awhile and it showed. In my opinion this area is a little over hyped.

Storefronts - Bergdorf Goodman wins the display award hands down but I also enjoyed the Bloomingdales windows for the interactive aspect. I expected a lot more from Barneys with GaGa and all and left extremely disappointed. Also, $250 for a dog sweater? LMAO.

Rockettes Christmas Spectacular - Good show, not a bad seat in the house. The video game part was a little slow but I enjoyed it.

Bangkok House - Best Thai food in NYC. Great service and prices.

12/27

911 Memorial - Very moving. Really annoyed by the people selling programs outside. Can we have one thing that is a little sacred without trying to make a quick buck?

Priscilla - Great show, very funny, and everyone seemed to have a great time.

Juniors - 2nd time there. The chicken I had must have been loaded with growth hormone because it was huge. Great food and service.

12/28

B & H Photo - Huge mega electronics store. Neat delivery system, huge selection, great prices. Needed binoculars for NYE, $35 worked great.

Saw a movie on 34th street - Mission Impossible III. Good flick.

12/29

High Line Park - Great park. Will definitely go back in the summer.

Macys - Great sale going on. Walked out with two bags of clothes. Over the limit bag fee here I come.

Peters Since 1969 - Pretty good comfort food restaurant. Turkey was awesome, stuffing not so much. No sweet tea at a southern themed restaurant? Shameful.

Nutcracker Production - John Jay College - Saw my niece in this production.

12/30

Bryant Park - Great overlook place. Better tree than Rockefeller Center, better ice skating too. Great little shops for Christmas.

Bangkok House - Again, love that food.

Phantom of the Opera - Great classic show, good cast, a little underwhelmed by the falling chandelier, lol.

12/31

The Original Soup Man - Come on, it was just fun ordering as the stoic Russian girl would not crack a smile. Ordered Black Bean and Chicken Noodle. The soup was just ok. I expected an orgasmic experience. Not so much. Also, they included two oranges in the bag with my soup. A little confused.

Top of the Rock - Second time here, better views than Empire State in my opinion.

MOMA - Loved this museum, would definitely go back.

NYE - Tried to walk down to Times Square around 2:00 and they were already blocking off the streets. Bought some great light up glasses, hat, and noise makers. Went back to the room to settle in for the night. Could hear the crowd roar since the windows opened. Felt like I was out in the crowd, without the need for a diaper. Hotel manager delivered a complimentary bottle of champagne. Great panoramic shots of the crowd. Could only see the stage via the video screens set up and on the screen on the ball tower. Everybody seemed to be having a good time. The weather was mild. Saw and heard Justin and Lady Gaga. The ball drop itself was exciting. Once it was over I think everybody ran for any bathroom, lol. Lots of really drunk and loud people afterwards. The trash magically disappeared the next morning. It was amazing.

Bottom line - Great experience, glad I did it, would not do it again. I prefer the city in the spring and fall. Hotel was great for the view but you are like 10 blocks away from the stages. If NYE in NYC is on your bucket list but the idea of standing in a crowd for 12 hours is horrifying, stay at the Novotel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Christmas - NYE

WOW! Sounds amazing. It must have been nice to be in the chaos but not too close. The hotel sounds like they did a fine job as well, with the bottle of champagne.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Christmas - NYE

>> The soup was just ok. I expected an orgasmic experience <<

You need to eat at Katz's Deli for this. :-)

Thanks for reporting back.

I think if I ever did NYE at Times Square I would also book a room like you did.

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Christmas - NYE

Sounds like a well planned, fun-filled trip. Thanks for posting the trip report.

Bangkok House sounds fantastic. I just checked menupages, which lists 264 Thai restaurants, and that's just in Manhattan and part of Brooklyn. So, to be fair, you have to eat many more Thai dinners before judging Bangkok House to be the best in the city! Hey, it's a good excuse to come back.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,449 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Christmas - NYE

Thanks Buzzkill!!! Sounds like you had a great time.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
973 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Christmas - NYE

Thanks for the feedback and great to hear you experienced what you wanted on your NYC buket list!

I think you were smart to book that Novotel room, sounds fantastic to be able to relax in the comforts of a hotel room but amidst all the noise and action. Sure it's a bit exy but some of the NYC tix parties cost around $500 a pop anyway so I think you guys did research and it showed. Thanks for the tip on the Novotel, that's something I never thought of doing and it sounds great!

Cheers, Coco

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Christmas - NYE

Thanks for posting your experience. I'm sure it will be very helpful to people out there.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,608 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Christmas - NYE

Thanks very much, Buzzkill. We've never had a report from a person who's booked a hotel room overlooking Times Square, so this will be very valuable. I know you stayed a week - was a week the minimum stay, or was it something more like three days? (I assume there was a minimum stay requirement.)

Can one of the DEs start a "Top Questions" link where we can collect the New Year's Eve trip reports?

South Carolina
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Christmas - NYE

I think there was a three day minimum but wanted to stay from Christmas to New Years Day so this was not a deterrent. The room breakdown not including taxes was $315 give or take for the 25th - 30th and $650 for the 31st.

I was able to book a "Times Square View" room through their website with refundable deposit of the first night. I could cancel up to three days prior to arrival, so it was a great deal.

I booked in April and then kept checking back. The price dropped again in early November and I rebooked saving about $200 from the April rates. The hotel also offered a non-refundable rate that was about $500 cheaper for the seven nights than the refundable rate.

Breakfast was not included and WiFi just happened to be complimentary during my stay.

Let me know if anyone has any other questions.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,402 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Christmas - NYE

"The soup was just ok. I expected an orgasmic experience. Not so much. Also, they included two oranges in the bag with my soup. A little confused. "

I had a lobster bisque there and it was really delicious. I got a plum, nice fresh bread and a chocolate in my bag. I thought they did that because on Seinfeld they say soup is a meal, could be wrong though.

I agree about the stoic lady at the till, I was waiting for her to say 'no soup for you' to anyone who dared to ask a question. Ha ha.

10. Re: Trip Report Christmas - NYE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2013, 21:22