We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What you need to know about New Yorkers!

ipswich
Level Contributor
366 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
What you need to know about New Yorkers!

They are very FRIENDLY!!!! We have just come back from a 4 night trip to New York, and we had an AMAZING time, we walked everywhere, very easy to do, we took the subway, again, easy, and safe. Everyone we met was so nice to us, and we did all the major sights - Empire State Building (first thing in morning, jet lag aids this!) no queues, brilliant, the Rockettes, Ice Skating in Central Park, which was a dream come true. We ate our own body weight in Hot Dogs, and pretzels, and Pizza, and Candy! Things I would not do again - Horse and Carriage ride in park, over priced and the route was the outside of park, which we had already walked, and the Sky Ride at Empire State Building - its old, fuzzy picture and just throws your breakfast waffles around in your stomach! Thank you New York for being everything we dreamed of!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What you need to know about New Yorkers!

Thanks for the compliment and happy to help!

Congrats on a successful visit. Where did you stay and who was in your party?

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What you need to know about New Yorkers!

It seems people from Ipswich are also friendly.

Glad you enjoyed it & I too look forwartd to your reviews (where you stayed & ate)-

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What you need to know about New Yorkers!

Glad you enjoyed our hospitality. Reader's Digest once wrote that NYC was the friendliest city in the USA.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What you need to know about New Yorkers!

The New Yorkers on this forum would have steered you away from the carriage ride and the sky ride. We love our visitors and do make suggestions in their best interests.

Come back soon.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

ipswich
Level Contributor
366 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What you need to know about New Yorkers!

We are a family of four, with two children, aged 8 and 13, and we stayed at the Intercontinental on Times Square, we ate at Trecolorri, (excellent) John's Pizza (great) Bubba Gumps (fun) and The Long Room (Irish - tasty food) The Hotel was in great location, and with great rooms/view, no bath, and horrific check in - our room was not ready when we arrived (we arrived after 3pm) and we were nonchalantly told it might be couple of hours, no offer of a drink while we waited - I had to ask, and our luggage did not get stored for an hour, we just stood in the lobby and waited - and waited! Shame, as the actual room and location are brilliant.

ipswich
Level Contributor
366 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What you need to know about New Yorkers!

I have to reiterate though, we loved the city - the people were just so nice - in Macys we were offered coupons by a fellow customer, and everyone wished us Happy Holidays! So nice. The stores are all dressed up for christmas with piped music to the street, it is magical just like in the movies. I bought so much candy I filled a suitcase! HERSHEYS R US in my home this Christmas!!! Special thanks to NY Whiz for all the advice given, and to everyone else who helped me plan this trip. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What you need to know about New Yorkers!

Lovely report - I too agree NYC and it's people are wonderful - merry Christmas 

rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What you need to know about New Yorkers!

In our five previous visits to NYC we have never met a unfriendly New yorker,pehaps one of the reasons why we keep returning!

Happy christmas evereyone

Coral Springs...
Level Contributor
751 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What you need to know about New Yorkers!

I also just got back from a trip to NYC, and like you, was so impressed by how friendly and helpful everyone was.....

Guess there's a law that all the unfriendly New Yorkers must move to south Florida, which is where I live.....;

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What you need to know about New Yorkers!

I agree too. I just got back from taking my teenaged daughter and her friend to NYC for three days. We had a great time and stayed at the Yotel. We took the Gray Line tour (night lights and Manhattan), went to Macy's and Top of the Rock, the 9/11 Memorial, skating at Rockefeller Center, took the Staten Island Ferry, ate cheesecake at Junior's deli, visited the Times Square Visitors Center, saw a tv show being broadcast. Everyone was so helpful and friendly.