We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In and out of EWR

Oslo, Norway
3 posts
Save Topic
In and out of EWR

My wife and I are travelling from Oslo to Nassau with a 3 days stopover in NYC in October. Our Continental- flight from EWR to Nassau departs Sunday morning at 08:45.

Q1: At what time should we to be at EWR?

On our return from Nassau, we arrive at EWR at 16:18, and our connecting flight (with Continental) leaves at 20:03 (almost 4 hours).

Q2 Will our luggage be checked all the way through from Nassau to Oslo, or do we have to collect it in EWR for a new check in? If so, what is the timespan?

Q3 Do we have to go through immigration clearance

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In and out of EWR

Q1: I would try to check in by 06:45 for an 8:45 flight Nassau is still considered international

Q2&3- I would only trust Continental to answer these questions- I assume since it is an international to international connection (and you technically will not be trying to re-enter the U.S. at this point) that you will go straight through, but I sometimes in U.S. airports carribean and central American flights are in a seperate international terminal from European flights-and this varies from airline to airline and I am not sure how Contenental does it.

You can ask Continental via their "ask a virtual expert..." (linked below)-

continental.com/web/…default.aspx

Good luck!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,230 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In and out of EWR

There is no more "in transit" in the US. When you return from Nassau, your bag will most likely be tagged for EWR and Oslo. You go through immigration at EWR, claim your bag at baggage check, go through customs and recheck the bag right at customs for the next flight. That is only if it is tagged all the way through, which I'm 99% sure it would be.

If for some strange reason, the bag isnt tagged all the way back to Oslo, you would claim it, go through customs, exit the arrivals area - go to check in and check the bag there.

But, it sounds like you're flying Continental all the way, so it's likely that it will be tagged for both. Even if you are on another carrier from Nassau to EWR, they should be able to issue boarding passes for both legs, and tag your bag to the final destination

suitcaseready.com

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,220 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In and out of EWR

You will get "preclearance" for US Customs and Immigration in Nassau. Once this is done, you're treated as a domestic flight arrival in the U.S. -- no further customs procedures.

This same procedure is available from a number of Canadian airports, and from Ireland.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,230 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In and out of EWR

Good to know. Does that mean the bag would be checked through to Oslo without the OP having to claim it in Newark, Auden?

My flight back from Ireland was in the afternoon, so we werent precleared (they only do the morning flights, supposedly) - and when I go to Toronto it's for business for a few hours, so I never have luggage.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,220 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In and out of EWR

If it's the same airline (or a codeshare) I think it would, but it would be worth checking with your originating airline in the Bahamas to make sure.

6. Re: In and out of EWR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 07:16