We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's this for a loose plan for a day in Brooklyn??

Australia
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
How's this for a loose plan for a day in Brooklyn??

So... we have 7 days in NYC and I'm planning to do it in sections!! 5 days in Manhattan, one in Jackson Heights, out to Citi Field and a day in Brooklyn.

The day will start whenever we're up and at 'em..... depending on what happens the night before!!

We're staying at Eastgate Towers ( 39th St, a couple blocks from Grand Central Terminal ). So from GC take the 4 to Borough Hall and go to the Visitor Info Centre for maps.. more ideas etc. From there I think we can get the 2,3 or 4 to Grand Army Plaza.. get out have a wander about ( St Johns Place looks like it's got some gorgeous buildings ). Make our way to the 7th Ave subway and get the Q to Prospect Park stop.

Walk across the park, taking lots of pics... the Terrace Bridge looks absolutely beautiful!! anything else in there a great photo op? come out of park around 11th/12th St's and find Cafe Grumpy on 7th Ave.. we'll be ready for it by then!!

Make our way to 5th Ave.. zigzagging up st's wherever our feet take us.... walk up 5th Ave to Atlantic Terminal.

Here ( since it will be on a Saturday ) we'll find the Flea Market at One Hanson and DSW for awesome shoes!!! I've been told De kalb St has some great architecture? From Atlantic T, or Nevins St if we want to walk more we'll get the 2/3 to Clark St.

Wander aimlessly taking in the Promenade/DUMBO area... Jacques Torres for Hot Choc.... multiple bars/cafes/shops etc.. whatever we see!!!

Walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge!!! Don't know what happens next, probably fall in a heap at hotel!!

Given it will be Feb and really cold I'm imagining this could take all day... 8am to 8pm possibly... with lots of browsing and sidetracking.

Do you think this can be done?? Will we freeze to death ( given we live in a place that is 27C.. ummm 90F??? in winter!!!)???? Toooooo much walking?? Anything else in the area we should try to see?

One last question... is it relatively flat?? Don't really want to be climbing hills all day!!!

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,073 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How's this for a loose plan for a day in Brooklyn??

Wow- you have done your research.

The only thing worth changing is that once at Grand Army you can walk directy into Prospect Park and you don't have to take the Q, and Maybe before the park (while exploring Grand Army Plaza) you could check out the Brooklyn Museum (which is also right there-and can be done fairly quick & if you don't atleast check out the building and lobby)-

http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/

Also, from the park to Dumbo I would consider a train. While Alantic terminal/ Hanson Place are interesting they aren't any better than any other town's Downtown (so not really worth all the walking you will do to get to Dumbo from prospect park) and the area of downtown around Burrough hall stop has arcitecture that is just as nice (and then you are just a few blocks to the promenade).

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How's this for a loose plan for a day in Brooklyn??

Sounds good...I really love Brooklyn, there is lots to just wander around and see.

At Clark St there is a lovely resturant where locals eat, at the conservatory bit - if you get a table there you can just see the top of the Brooklyn Bridge it was reco to me by one of the crowd on here.....and I just can't wait to get back. You can get food, meals, light bites and drinks.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How's this for a loose plan for a day in Brooklyn??

Thanks for your replies.

MTI the only reason I thought to catch the Q was to limit the walking a little given it will be cold and I really want to see the Terrace bridge which is down the bottom end of the Park. How long would it take to walk from Grand Army Plaza down there and out again?? I'll check out the museum, thanks. Also was interested in seeing the Brooklyn Flea Market ( we'll be doing this on a Saturday ) and I'm a shoe addict so DSW was in the plan!! Mind you we could go the the one in Union Square cos we might need some good warm boots sooner rather than later.

On the other hand I guess it doesn't really matter how much we walk... we've got all day!! That's the key really I think.. go with the flow and make it up as we go.... with an idea of what would be good to see if we can!!

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,073 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How's this for a loose plan for a day in Brooklyn??

I would say through the medows and past the band shell to the south end of the park is about 20-30 min nice walk (the train could take almost as long with waiting time and walking into the park).

www.prospectpark.org/visit/interactive_map

Australia
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How's this for a loose plan for a day in Brooklyn??

Thanks MTI... we'll see what happens, as I said it's a pretty loose plan but I do like to have a vague idea of where we're going!! Great map too thanks.

20-30 min walking might be about the limit before we need to pop into a cafe/bar/shop to warm the toes and nose!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How's this for a loose plan for a day in Brooklyn??

You have done us proud LarnAustralia!! You have done your research!!

You will love it here too ENJOY!!

p.s I am an Aussie too but living here :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How's this for a loose plan for a day in Brooklyn??

Great work Larn! I looked at your plan on Google maps and I'm going to print off for our trip in 3 weeks - thanks!!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How's this for a loose plan for a day in Brooklyn??

Thanks Hutais, I've been planning this trip for nearly 6 months already and got another 5 to go!! I'll be back with similar rough day plans for the other 6 days sometime in the coming months!!

I'm so excited about this trip, it consumes my every spare moment. I've printed out so much information and read just about every post on here!! I think I'll know the What, where and how to get there by the time I'm actually there (might prevent me stopping in the middle of the street to look at a map, can't promise I won't stop to take photos but will get out of the way )!!!!

Frodobaggins.... Fabulous!! You can do a trial run for me and let me know how it goes. Enjoy your trip, I'm so envious you get to go so soon!!

Larn

9. Re: How's this for a loose plan for a day in Brooklyn??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 15:16