We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Star spotting

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Star spotting

Is there a place or area where I'm likely to see any famous people.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Star spotting

Bergdorf Goodman on a weekday.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Star spotting

Well, who do you consider a celebrity? I see an awful lot of reality TV stars in W'burg. They seem drawn to the streets like a moth to a flame. I guess real celebrities are aloof, but not the C and D list people. They often enjoy being spotted. If you spot Toby McQuire, I think it's must be like spotting Spiderman on the street. But the reality TV people are themselves ..... no actor to filter out all the horrible foibles.

Just this past weekend I saw Gretchen Jones, the season 8 winner of Project Runway leaving the Renegade Crafts Fair in McCarren Park [how ironic]

mylifetime.com/shows/…gretchen-jones

Then earlier in the week I saw Brenda Lowe, the cute former Miami Dolphin cheerleader from Survivor: Nicaragua (the season Russel first appeared) on the 'L' train. Sorry for staring Brenda, but come on, you're so hot and I can't get that Survivor bathing suit image out of my mind.

http://starcasm.net/archives/60103

I've seen Angelo Sosa from Top Chef at the W'burg Brooklyn Flea back about a month ago. He was the guest celebrity chef .... who would have guessed it?.

www.bravotv.com/top-chef/bio/angelo-sosa

And I often see Kenley Collins, the villain from Project Runway, either riding the 'L' train or just aimlessly wandering around Williamsburg. She lives here.

poptower.com/project-runway/kenley-collins.h…

On the show Kenley, after dising just about every other contestant, finally broke down at the finals and through a sea of tears wept; " I worked so hard." So whenever I spot Kenley I always rub my eyes and whisper; "I worked soooo hard." Come on Kenley, you know you deserve it.

Edited: 15 June 2011, 05:08
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Star spotting

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking more like movie or music stars, someone that is well known on this side of the pond. (UK)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Star spotting

I've seen a few in Whole Foods at Columbu Circle.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Star spotting

We met Ricky Gervaise in the bar at the four seasons - when I say met, I mean we acted like blitheting fools and he was very gracious about it. We spotted Morrissey in the bar of the Mandarin Oriental hotel. I grew up not far from him and it made me think how far our lives must have twisted and turned for me to go from hanging around outside the pub he was in as a teenager (long before his smiths days). To being sat in looking I've central park sipping a cocktail sat on the next table. Still his music always had a melancholic effect.

I'd say try some of the. 5 star hotel bars, you might find the odd star lurking.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Star spotting

See now there you go. I wouldn't consider Morrissey a "star". Some of these personalities may be more famous in your home country than they are here in the United States. I wouldn't recognize Morrissey if he was sitting on my lap (but Brenda Lowe sitting on my lap ..... even though she's strictly 'C' list ..... now I think I would notice that).

This topic has been discussed many many times on the forum before. So do search in the forum "search" box above under either "celebrity sightings" or "star spotting". You'll get plenty of feedback.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Star spotting

I have seen a couple seated at DaSilvano or Bar Pitti on 6th near Bleecker. I often see "celebrities" at the corner of Prince and Mercer by the Mercer hotel. If you stick there, you should see a couple:)

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Star spotting

Now lotuspath, may not know who he was, but would surely notice a middle aged opinionated Brit in your lap;-)

I don't think Ricky was well known in the US when we saw him. The waiter didn't have a clue who he was and could not understand our dance moves.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Star spotting

If you are considering going to a Broadway show, consider a drama rather than a musical. Celebrity actors can afford to go to Broadway. They want to see other actors work, in order to learn. I've seen Maya Angelou, Mike Nichols and Valerie Bertinelli at shows. And--I don't remember his name, the Englishman who plays Kiera Knightley's father in the Pirates films, and starred in the film Brazil in 1986.

@tourguidestan on twitter

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Star spotting

Morrissey isn't a star, he's a demigod. There is a considerable difference.

I once saw Robin Williams eating at a restaurant I was waiting to eat at...