We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Manhattan to Williamsburg?

South Africa
Level Contributor
148 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Manhattan to Williamsburg?

We will be in NY first week of July and plan to visit the Smor market on Sat .

Does anyone know if the ferry is up and running. And is that the suggested /quickest way to get there?

Also is the Smorgasburg worth a visit for foodies. We would like to go over to Brooklyn and so thought to do it on the Sat and see the market at the same time.

And what else is a must in the area to visit/see,

Thank you kindly..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Manhattan to Williamsburg?

Ferry service starts June 13th:

http://www.nywaterway.com/ERF-Home.aspx

Smorgasburg is definitely worth a visit for foodies, but bear in mind that it can be quite crowded, especially in the afternoon. The closest stop on the ferry for Smorgasburg is the North 6th Street stop.

Williamsburg and the adjoining neighborhoods of Greenpoint and Bushwick are the city's most vibrant neighborhoods for live music and arts. A gallery guide:

http://www.wagmag.org/

Edited: 09 June 2011, 21:46
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Manhattan to Williamsburg?

I do not know if the ferry is up and running. The area is easy to get to by subway. Just take the L train to Bedford Ave, walk to N6th Street, and then head towards the river. And yeah, it is a great place for foodies.

As to what else there is to see, it depends on what you want to do. I was there last week with someone who was into clothing and Beacons Closet, a huge vintage clothing store was the big hit. As for me, it is more of a vibe sort of thing. This is just a good area to walk around. Lots of small independent stores. Lots of interesting looking people. Tons of good restaurants and bars. One of my fave places in the area is tiny Grand Ferry Park at the foot of Grand Street.

Do not think of WBurg in terms of tourist sites, other than the Brooklyn Brewery and Peter Lugars there are few landmarks. It is the area itself that is the attraction.

3. Re: Ferry from Manhattan to Williamsburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 June 2011, 22:07
Edited: 12 June 2011, 22:07
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Manhattan to Williamsburg?

I've not been to the park that Mel has pointed out, but I normally go sit and relax at East River State Park, which is just so peaceful, you can forget you're in NYC, apart from the view you actually get there.

Lotus - the EF Ferry will be free for only 2 weeks - www.nywaterway.com/AdvisoryDetails.aspx…

M

Edited: 09 June 2011, 23:14
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Manhattan to Williamsburg?

Lotus - with the L down last weekend, I took the M to Marcy Ave and walked through the Southside. It was almost as if WBurg hadn't yet happened. After Grand Street, it was like someone flipped the switch. Coming back on Bedford Ave, I did notice that some of the hipsterism is spreading out.

How long do you think it will take before the Southside spiritually and economically joins is neighbor to the North? Althougn, I cannot really picture Broadway as trendy. Can you?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Manhattan to Williamsburg?

Between Dressler, Marlow and Daughters, Marlow and Sons, Diner, and Brooklyn Industries, Broadway is already trendy, Mel. In fact, with Fatty Cue and Bembe right off Broadway on 6th, it's half-over at this point :)

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,901 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from Manhattan to Williamsburg?

If this ferry is launching on June 13, what's the deal with getting to Governor's Island this weekend for Figment? Thought it might be useful for people to know here.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from Manhattan to Williamsburg?

The regular ferry to Governors Island, leaving from the Battery Maritime Terminal, has been running for a few weeks now.

www.govisland.com/html/visit/directions.shtml

Edited: 09 June 2011, 23:41
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,901 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry from Manhattan to Williamsburg?

I was hoping there would be some sort of East River service that would let me get there easily from Hunter's Point. Guess not.

South Africa
Level Contributor
148 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry from Manhattan to Williamsburg?

Thank you everyone! Lotus your info has got me all excited and ready to go. I wish I had planned more than one day in Brooklyn!!

Wow thank you again.