We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice

Glasgow
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Advice

I know I am a bit early but trying to plan our New Year celebrations. Myself and the wife got Married in March but we have delayed our honeymoon and coming to NYC for New Year as I fell in love with the place a couple of years back. Does anybody have any good recommendations for celebrations on New Years Eve and of course New Years Day? Had a look at some of the parties in Times Square (Bubba Gumps, Planet Hollywood etc) and the ticket prices are through the roof.

Oh, and any good steak house recommendations?

Thanks folks,

Grant

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice

If you search the forum for New Year's Eve and Times Square, you will see summaries of what it takes to see the ball drop without paying a fortune to be in one of the mediocre restaurants that offers a ball drop view. It involves arriving early and standing in a police-barricaded pen, with no alcohol, and no access to food, water or bathrooms. There are those who do it - there are very few who do it more than once.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,968 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice

NYE in NYC is expensive, especially if you want to be anywhere near Times Square and the ball drop. It would help if you told us what you have in mind to pay and to do. No point us recommending a fancy dinner if you want something casual.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice

I'm not sure what you mean about "of course New Year's Day." New Year's Day is generally very quiet -- there aren't a lot of celebrations that day, except to the extent that there are some NYE parties that don't end until dawn or so.

The first thing you need to decide is whether you want to be in Times Square or not. If so, then you're stuck with something like Bubba Gump's. If not, then you have lots of other options, but details on those parties won't come out until November or December.

There are many, many previous threads on here about steakhouses. Have you done a forum search? Some popular choices include Peter Luger, Wolfgang's, BLT Steak, Strip House, Old Homestead, and Keen's.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice

Thanks people,

At first I liked the idea of Times Square on NYE but it does sound brutal therefore not too fussed for spending a fortune and getting crushed in the process.

Looking for a bit of fun with a good party atmosphere. The wife had been advised by a couple who were in NYC for NYE last year that the Joshua Tree was good fun. Not budget set as such. Just looking for ideas.

G

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice

"Does anybody have any good recommendations for celebrations on New Years Eve and of course New Years Day? "

It's the "of course New Years Day" part of things that's going to confuse the locals. Isn't New Years Day a big day out (or in!) in Scotland? In America....not so much.

The big party is New Years Eve. January 1st is of course a holiday. But many just hang out and watch college football games, and depending on the calendar a lot of people have to go back to work/school the next day. So it's not so much a party day like I understand Scotland to be on January 1.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice

Without a budget it is impossible to help you---- no sense in wasting time on a $900 a person party recommendation if you can only afford or want to spend

$50 a person.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice

As IrishFan notes, there are no "celebrations" on New Year's Day. The pious may go to church in the morning, while other people nurse hangovers from the night before. If you get up early enough, you can watch the Tournament of Roses parade on television from California. After that, you have a lot of college football (and that is American footbal, of course) games on television. Other than that, the city will be very, very quiet.

What sort of New Year's Day "celebrations" did you have in mind, that you said "of course" when you mentioned them?

LR
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice

Grant

New Year is not celebrated in the NYC as we do in Glasgow or Edinburgh. It's a bit of a non event, relatively speaking.

Hogmany in Times Sq is a zoo and as BB mentions you will need to spent hours (all day) in a pen with thousands of others without any food, drink or amenities (and could be cold and damp). It may look exciting for that 5 min 'count-down' scene on TV, but standing for hours and hours ain't much fun.

The likes of Buba's etc charge a fortune just because of location. Any TS hotel restaurants will also cost a fortune (as they do back home on NYE) If you're looking for a club, then expect to pay mega bucks.

If we're talking about the same place in Murray Hil/ Gramercy, the Joshua Tree is a bar/diner full of big screen TVs showing sports and belting out 80s music. It gets very busy with guys in their 20s, hard to get a drink and not really classy and very noisy ( I'm just too old now). I guess if you just want some fun and are young it may be ok.

I love NYC and, for me, there is never a bad time to visit, but at that time of year it is jaw dropping expensive. Best to work out a budget and post back and then get some proper recommendations.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice

My thoughts are pushing back the honeymoon again a little bit, and visiting in March, as you're going to get so much more for your money, and you can have a double celebration of 1st anniversary / honeymoon together.

What costs you around $200 for a wonderful hotel room in March, would probably cost in excess of $400 - $500 over the weekend of New Years Eve. Also, flights will be cheaper, and the weather, hit and miss, whereas over NYE, you're probably guaranteed freezing freezing cold.

As for those steakhouse recommendations, Keens and Old Homestead I've been to over the years, and can recommend them both.

M

Glasgow
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice

Thanks folks,

I think the budget would probably be around $200 to $300 for the both of us. As far as New Years Day is concerned, sorry for confusing you. I think New Years Day could be good for a nice walk round Central Park or something similar. We are both in our early thirties so thanks for the advice on Joshua Tree LR. M4RKM, we are already booked so will be unable to push the honeymoon back.

Much appreciated people.

Grant