We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark Liberty International airport

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Topic
Newark Liberty International airport

Hi Guys I Need Help and advice

My Partner and I were flying into Newark From Puerto Vallarta Arriving at 20.00 until today We have just recieved confirmation that the flight has changed and that we will be arriving at 21.50. The problem is we have a connecting flight to london on a BA flight departing at 23.05. Now correct me if im wrong when we land we will be in terminal B continental airline flight where we will have to clear customs reclaim luggage and then walk over to terminal C to board our BA flight!!! all this in now 1 hour 15 mins obviously if flights get delayed we are stuffed anyway but what we need to know is that if flights are on time would we still be able to make our connceting flight given what we have to go through??

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark Liberty International airport

Is this all ticketed on the one ticket, or did you book the two legs separately?

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark Liberty International airport

travel agent booked them seperately been on the phone to travel agent they have moved me on to a flight that arrives 6 mins earlier FANTASTIC!! how good is that!!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,783 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark Liberty International airport

Are both legs on the same airline? If so, and if you feel you don't have enough time for your connection because of the change, you should be able to move to a later flight without penalty. I don't think you have enough time. Even if the flight isn't delayed, it seems to take 20 - 30 minutes to get off an airplane these days, by the time everyone hauls their carry-ons from the overheads.

Pjk

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark Liberty International airport

If these two flights are not on the same airline then you have a problem and given the time of day you may be stuck till the next day. If they are with the same carrier they usually work these things out.

i swear I think there are some travel agents around the world who have never traveled.

Edited: 26 January 2011, 04:01
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newark Liberty International airport

Hey Chris1983Mansfield:-) Looks like you were originally booked on CO coming into EWR..is that the same carrier they booked you on for 'the change'?! Don't think BA has flights from Puerto Vallarta to EWR so it may be easier to just change the trans flight at this point..would post over in the dedicated Air Forum here..some great folks there that know their stuff..may be able to give you some pointers;-) Wish you best..try and EnjoY!

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Newark Liberty International airport

hi the flight is continental coming into newark at 21.52 and the connecting flight which is booked on a seperate leg departs newark at 23.05 which is the Ba Flight. BA have said we might able to connect our luggage in PVR so that it goes straight to the BA flight and that before we leave our hotel in PVR we can check in for the BA flight online. So then its justs customs we have to clear and get to the next gate.

If the continental fight is delayed and we miss our next flight then i believe that they have to get us to our destination. However if they get us there on time and we just dnt get to the BA gate ontime then BA wont put us on the next flight for free?? im really confused So my travel agent has said there is nothing they can do unless we pay to have our BA flight changed to the next flight and stay a night in a hotel in newark. ££££ 500 for a charge fee and hotel for 1 night how is this fair..

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newark Liberty International airport

BA and CO are not code shares, so as they are booked separately, you miss your connection, then the airline really has to do nothing, as it isn't their fault that your earlier flight with someone else is late.

You really need to find 1 airline, that you can book with that lets you do a connection from your starting point to Puerto Vallarta, then if there is a delay, it is one ticket, one itinerary, and you're on a connection, not having to check in again, which I think you will have to, and check in will close 1 hour before, and you'll start boarding 45 minutes before take off.

M

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newark Liberty International airport

Is your travel agent telling you that you can check through luggage from CO to BA?! Again, I think you'd be best off posting this in the Air Forum..no clue if there is a co-op between these 2 carriers! Bottom line, I have to agree w/Pjk here..don't forget that 'arrival time' is when the tires hit the tarmac..does not allow for taxiing to gate, de-planing, etc..Sounds like a very tight fit but somehow, don't see how CO would be responsible for a BA flight if they are booked/ticketed seperately?! Do hope you'll square this away w/out having to spend extra..but if a later flight can't be arranged..you may just end up having to overnight! Wish I could help more..but do think the folks over at the AIr Forum will.....Best again..

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,570 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Newark Liberty International airport

Unfortunately, this strikes me as a travel agent issue. (This is why I don't use travel agents - because they do things like this.) I would try again with the travel agent - they chose to book you on two separate airlines, and now that one flight has been changed you have an impossible connection. As a service provider, it is the travel agent's responsibility (in my opinion) to try to make this right for you, since it is through their booking practices that you're going to end up stuck overnight. I would suggest asking them if you can get an earlier flight on your first leg.

Now, the problem is that your agent has no legal responsibility to fix this - I'm suggesting you prevail on their customer service ethic to fix it, and cover your change fee to move your first flight up.

Best of luck.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newark Liberty International airport

Ditto what BB said. Never used a travel agent and never will.

IMHO, even the original layover time wasn't enough for me to be comfortable given the change of airlines, retrieving luggage, customs and then security again. I would also recommend pushing the agent to make it right at their expense since they booked it that way. You need either a much earlier flight to EWR or a flight the next day on BA. Good luck.