We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do You Get Wet on the Duck Tour?

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Topic
Do You Get Wet on the Duck Tour?

Hi: I'm coming into the city tomorrow with two little kids, 5 and 7 who want to do this tour. Do you get wet? I really don't want to walk around air drying in the heat and humidity for the rest of the day so your input would be welcome. Thank-you!

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,213 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do You Get Wet on the Duck Tour?

What a silly question from a waterbug from sea ^_^

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do You Get Wet on the Duck Tour?

The NYC Duck Tour isn't running this summer, sorry.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Do You Get Wet on the Duck Tour?

I did one of these tours with my wife's 5th graders in Boston - I don't remember getting wet - but now I noticed there are two types of vessels for the tours, the "original" surplus WWII DUKW boats and a jerry rigged type vessel sort of looks like a Duck Boat but it is not - so not sure that one is any different in it ability to keep you dry.

Poppa

Well I guess CC has settled that - no you will not get wet because you will not be going on the tour! Try the around Manhattan tour, Circle Line - have chaperoned several of these, kids love them.

Edited: 23 June 2010, 00:44
The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do You Get Wet on the Duck Tour?

Thank-you! I did a TA search and must have clicked on an old link because I didn't read it was not running this year. Here's a current link with that disappointing information:

www.newyorksightseeing.com/category.php…

I'll look at the Circle Line tours. Thanks again, you saved me a trip to AAA for discounted tix.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do You Get Wet on the Duck Tour?

If you're looking for an alternative, I'd take one of the hour-long harbor cruises that leave from lower Manhattan, rather than one of the 1-1/2 or 2-hour cruises that depart from midtown (think those would tax the attention span of kids that young).

nywaterway.com/NYHarborDowntownCruiseGateway…

http://www.nywatertaxi.com/HarborTours/SOLE/

www.nywatertaxi.com/HarborTours/happyhour/

www.circlelinedowntown.com/zephyr.asp…

But yes, you want to avoid the Beast or the Shark harbor rides because of the sogginess factor.

Discount coupon for NY Water Taxi -- but NY Waterway is still cheaper

destinationcoupons.com/new_york/nyc/new-york…

Edited: 23 June 2010, 01:11
The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do You Get Wet on the Duck Tour?

Thank-you. With any luck, the 5 year old will fall asleep on the boat for a few minutes.

We'll go to Katz diner for lunch. What's the best way to get there from lower Manhattan? Walking, subway, bus?

Edited: 23 June 2010, 01:55
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do You Get Wet on the Duck Tour?

M15 bus! If you choose the New York Waterway "Gateway to American" cruise, you'll be at the Maritime Building, which is right across the street from where the M15 buses begin their run. And the M15 is also the most convenient form of transit if you decide to go on one of the harbor cruises that uses a South Street Seaport dock.

The M15 bus goes through Chinatown before heading into the Lower East Side and beyond so you'll get a bit of a sightseeing tour with it :-)

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,452 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do You Get Wet on the Duck Tour?

Remember that you'll need coins or Metrocard for the bus -- no dollar bills. If the kids are under 44 inches tall they ride for free.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do You Get Wet on the Duck Tour?

Thank-you!

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do You Get Wet on the Duck Tour?

How much is the adult bus fare? The transit map is great, btw, but I didn't see fares. Thank-you.