We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finalizing itinerary--love Tripit.com!

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Finalizing itinerary--love Tripit.com!

Hi,

I thought I'd share a web tool that I'm just learning how to use that has made my upcoming trip planning very fun and easy. (I have no interest in tripit.com other than as an amateur travel planner.)

I'm leaving this Saturday to meet my mom in NY for 5 days; I'm flying from Seattle, she from Milwaukee. I've been doing hotel and restaurants, we've both added some theater ticket reservations, and she's planning the multitudinous museum visits.

Several weeks ago, I initiated a Tripit.com itinerary. As I received email confirmations from the hotel booking site, opentable.com, telecharge.com (play tickets), Carmel limo and the Met Opera, I just forwarded the emails to plans@tripit.com, and their system plunked all the info from the email into the itinerary, with confirmation numbers, addresses, websites, maps, etc. Other items can be "manually" added. My mom and I can share the intinerary, as I set it up, so she's adding in notes on what museums to visit and when, and I'm adding other items that have been suggested by some of you (LES galleries, Dessert Truck, etc).

This has been very cool for us in planning this trip jointly and to now have all our info in one place that I can print or access with my iPhone is a very good thing! Highly recommend it.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finalizing itinerary--love Tripit.com!

That sounds totally awesome. I'll have to take a look....and then recommend to friends. Thanks.

If anyone else has used this, would be curious to see your comments too.

Edited: 12 February 2010, 07:03
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finalizing itinerary--love Tripit.com!

I tried using tripcase... much the same.... found it quite a pain to be honest, i have an e-mail I can read it anywhere, why do i need to e-mail it elsewhere just to be in one place...

M

Edited: 12 February 2010, 07:07
Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finalizing itinerary--love Tripit.com!

I like to be able to go to ONE place on the web (rather than having to search through my ugly unwieldy inbox for multiple emails) to find in sequential order my:

flight info

car service confirmation number and phone

hotel address & conf. number

dinner res./phone number/address

opera ticket conf. number

notes, links, links to maps about where to go after the show for dinner

and then the next days follow much in the same manner.

And, when more than one person is involved in the planning, as with my mom, the benefits (imho) get exponentially better. And with one email we can send copies of our entire intinerary to our respective familes so they can vicariously keep up with us.

But maybe it's just cuz I struggle with organization and this seems to help me out with that. I guess you could make a mail folder and dump all the stuff for each trip into its own folder and then it would be much the same thing, but not so easy to share with another traveler.

I found with this particular trip that most of my email confirmations (airline,opentable, hotel, telecharge, etc), when forwarded to tripit, just naturally fit into their system, and all the salient info on time, location, website, phone, etc. were just magically slotted and organized and I had to enter nothing. The couple of restaurant reservations I made the old fashioned way by phone needed to be entered "by hand". But just time, location, phone number. So I don't really get why it would be a pain, unless you were having to enter all the info manually. But not the case here. I found it a valuable tool for my purposes.

Holywood, N Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finalizing itinerary--love Tripit.com!

I am a huge fan of tripit particularly as I am an Iphone user. The Tripit app (free) means you have your arrangements to hand with useful phone numbers and directions as a bonus.

I still get a thrill forwarding reservations on to plans and seeing them integrated into my trips within seconds.

Edited: 14 February 2010, 00:43
wv
Level Contributor
548 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finalizing itinerary--love Tripit.com!

I looked at TripIt and first didn't like that they not only wanted my email address, but the password ! And I really didn't like the idea of forwarding emails (to another site) that has confirmation # (and poss CC#) on it. I do have a separate folder in my hotmail acct for all my travel stuff, and can access this from my iphone. I can see the benefits of sharing some travel info (as I've done on tripadvisor) such as dates and hotel etc, so that people can help with itineraries, restaurants, etc, but no way no how am I going to share my confirmation # for hotel/flights etc for fear that somehow my CC number could be obtained from that info.

color me paranoid...

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finalizing itinerary--love Tripit.com!

wvu - that's exactly what made me wary too!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finalizing itinerary--love Tripit.com!

Exactly... my unweildy inbox has one folder called - current tickets & bookings, which I drag into any tickets, confirmations, and it has less than 10 e-mails in it.... kinda easy to find what you need there

M

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finalizing itinerary--love Tripit.com!

I'm a bit anal when it comes stuff like that nowadays, i never used to plan anything on holiday, but then i started visiting various travel forums and realised that loads of people plan out their days, so decided to do it for a trip to OZ, and haven't stopped since! *lol* I have a folder in my email with all my confirmations for hotels/flights etc, and then i have my day to day itinerary on a word doc in table format, plus i have word docs with lists of interesting places that i might like to visit!

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
273 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Finalizing itinerary--love Tripit.com!

I signed up for tripit but just didn't dig it much. I like my google maps. I plot on it all the things I would like to do. I print off (yes, on paper!) one full page map of Manhattan, plus usually 4 closer-up maps for detail. I also print off the side-bar, with all the details of the places I have plotted. This way I have the name, address, phone # for each (pre-filled by google maps), and I add anything else relevant (hours of operation, admission price, nearest cross street, subway directions, date and time of reservation, etc). I organize the side-bar by area, so I can look at one page to see what's near where I am/where I'm going.

10. Re: Finalizing itinerary--love Tripit.com!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2010, 14:17