We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

concerned about hotel already booked

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
concerned about hotel already booked

family of four coming into nyc in last week of august. will be there for three activity filled days but have read awful reviews of hotel sheraton at times square which we already prebooked and paid on advice from travel agent. how bad can it be?! i know we won't be staying in the room for very long but i'm very nervous after reading reviews help!

Toronto
Level Contributor
358 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: concerned about hotel already booked

stayed there 39 years ago!! so not much help other than I remeber the room as small. But you will not be in the room much and it will be fine.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: concerned about hotel already booked

I stayed there a few years ago and it was absolutely fine. Room was clean, tidy, and bathroom wasn't too small.

My only complaint was that we received a massive phone bill (phone was used to call 1-800 to access prepaid phone card). This had never happened to us before in any hotel, in any U.S. city we've been in and there had been no indication of this charge in our room. That said, when I spoke to them about it, they took 2/3 of the charges off the bill, so I was very happy with that.

It was a great location, close to everything in Times Square, 5th Avenue shopping, close to the subway and great for the park.

I read loads of terrible reviews right here on Trip Advisor before we left for NYC and I was worried also. The hotel was so not like any of the reviews I had read.

Cheers,

Dee

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,470 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: concerned about hotel already booked

If you're that unhappy, why not go back to travel agent with a copy of reviews and demand a change? If you've paid a lot for it, I would definitely make a stink. Otherwise, if it's a done deal at a low price, why bother being concerned? It's a great location and you now know the hotel is in need of an update and not to expect a lot. Since you're 4, the room can't be that small.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: concerned about hotel already booked

If you are talking about the Sheraton Manhattan (there are two right across the street from one and another) I think you will be fine. The location is great and is primarily set up as a business hotel... Here's what I do... As I walk into a room-- I do the most critical inspection before unpacking my bags... I check for cleanliness, and that all systems work... If I find anything amiss I go down to the desk and ask for another room.... In a hotel that size there has to be one nice room... I find people who write hotel reviews on TA to be super critical for the most part.... nothing is going to be perfect but you are only there for a few nights you are not buying the place... I would rely on your on site inspection rather than the words of Mamie from Omaha who may have never been in a hotel in her life...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: concerned about hotel already booked

thanks bilmin,the logical side of my brain tells me the same thing. i believe its all about location and defintely cleanliness. wish us luck!

6. Re: concerned about hotel already booked

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2010, 17:30