We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shrek seating. Orchestra vs Mezzanine for kids age 4 + 6.

United States
Level Contributor
318 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Shrek seating. Orchestra vs Mezzanine for kids age 4 + 6.

Hi! I've gone through all the other posts and still havent found an answer.

I am looking to take my mom, brother and his 2 kids age 4 and age 6 to SHREK. Went to the box office today and there are 2 seating options:

2 Tickets, RIGHT Orchestra Row J, Seats 11-19

9 rows from Stage. Seat 11 is 6 seats off aisle.

OR

2 Tickets, LEFT Front Mezz Row D, Seats 2-10

The woman at the ticket office (who I suspect just wanted to get rid of me as there was a line) told me that the mezzanine tickets would be better.

Has anyone ever sat in the front mezzanine and can confirm? I just want the little kids to have a really special experience and want them to be able to see everything and face expressions, etc.

Also, I've found a "shreckation" discount. It is buy one ticket at full price, get 3 at half price. If anyone is interested the website is: http://www.shrekcation.com/

Or if anyone knows of better discounts - please let me know.

Sorry for the long post and thanks so much!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,626 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shrek seating. Orchestra vs Mezzanine for kids age 4 + 6.

It depends on the theatre and I'm not familiar with the one where Shrek is being performed.

Often (not always) the Mezzanine is 'up' and steeper, giving little ones a better site line where sa the Orchestra is on the floor, not a sloped forcing little ones to deal with big people in fron tof them.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shrek seating. Orchestra vs Mezzanine for kids age 4 + 6.

The Orch seats are sloped like an old style movie theater, the Mezz seats are more like a stadium seating theater. So with small children they will be able to see better from the Mezz. The women at the ticket office was giving you good advice.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,952 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shrek seating. Orchestra vs Mezzanine for kids age 4 + 6.

Are his kids ready to sit through a full length Broadway show without disturbing people around them?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shrek seating. Orchestra vs Mezzanine for kids age 4 + 6.

Ztaks- the answer to that is probably no but at least at Shrek there is some semblance of it being a "kids show"--- I know the op doesn't want to hear this but I don't think a 4 year old belongs in a Broadway theater and the 6 year old maybe yes- maybe no. And I will not respond further to all the parents who say "my kid is a theater veteran at 4 and knows all the words to Les Miserables."

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Shrek seating. Orchestra vs Mezzanine for kids age 4 + 6.

Some theaters have a rule that ages 4 and under will not be admitted.

I'm going to side with bilmin and not elaborate on my reasons on children that young being in a theater for a Broadway production - admittedly, there are some adults who shouldn't be there - what the heck?

Poppa

United States
Level Contributor
318 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shrek seating. Orchestra vs Mezzanine for kids age 4 + 6.

Thanks to everyone - we're taking the mez!

7. Re: Shrek seating. Orchestra vs Mezzanine for kids age 4 + 6.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2010, 17:20