We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planet hollywood or Olive Garden for New Years eve??

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Planet hollywood or Olive Garden for New Years eve??

Could anybody help me make an informed choice of which one to go to. I wanted to experience the excitement of the night without been in the cold.

have details on both, both offer open bar, DJ, buffet, champagne toast at midnight.

Olive Garden is $250, If the police allow will let you out into times square at Midnight, I believe this has a large window which overlooks times square.

Planet Hollywood is $195 for 3rd floor party or $275 for Vip 4th floor party, they say they do not let you out at midnight, if you leave you are not allowed back in. The lady also said that they dont have a full view of times square but you can see part of it from the window.

Im torn because i wanted the view and the chance to go out if i wanted to but the people at planet hollywood sound more knowledgeable of what they are offering and so are swaying me their way.

can anybody give me any advice??

Thanks

Clare

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planet hollywood or Olive Garden for New Years eve??

What exactly do you mean by "more knowledgeable of what they are offering"?

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planet hollywood or Olive Garden for New Years eve??

Ive asked them loads of questions about picking tickets up and the view and everything and they have been able to answer everything, I phoned the olive garden and the lady just seemed to want to get me off the phone, i tried to ask questions and she just said do you want to book or not, not as customer friendly on first impressions

icf
stoke on trent
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planet hollywood or Olive Garden for New Years eve??

Donnydiva,i think you have answered your own question with what you have said about the olive garden staff,

Have a great trip

Darren

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planet hollywood or Olive Garden for New Years eve??

According to poster alilois on this thread--

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2300473…

--the view from the Olive Garden is somewhat obscured anyway. (I don't know if that's true--just reporting!)

Have you looked into TGI Friday's for this? Have a look at the posts from page 7 onwards on this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1571139…

(The posts prior to that page on about last year's NYE.)

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planet hollywood or Olive Garden for New Years eve??

Thanks Darren, thats what my mum said!

Crans - I had looked at TGI but was put off as i have eaten there before and was seated in the basement area and therfore i thought if im going to be in a basement room i might as well be anywhere? Thanks for the links to the reviews, I think im going to go with my gut instinct and book planet hollywood. I would ave loved to have gone to Bubba gump shrimp but the $500 pp price tag put me off that one. (I know im a hard person to please ha ha)

Thanks again

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planet hollywood or Olive Garden for New Years eve??

The idea of spending that much of you hard earned money on overpriced tourist food and a questionable view is unconsciounable.

Times Square is ridiculously crowded and you are penned in like cattle. Still, if you must do it, JUST GO FOR IT. Stand outside and watch the commotion, and after the ball drops, get the heck out of there.

London
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planet hollywood or Olive Garden for New Years eve??

Hi Clare,

I spent New Years Eve at Olive Garden in 2005 and it was awesome, it's true it's busy and crazy but it's a once in a lifetime thing. At about 11.50pm we were all allowed out of the Olive Garden and went outside to watch the ball drop, it was amazing and the atmosphere was so cool. Anyway, we had no problem getting out or back in again and the food was o.k, we were mainly drinking! ;)

It's expensive but we all thought it was worth it as the crowds in Times Square were bonkers and we were all snug in the warm! :)

Can't comment on Planet Hollywood but we didn't have an obscured view from the Olive Garden at all.

M x

8. Re: Planet hollywood or Olive Garden for New Years eve??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 09:19