We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gothamist / NYPL "Love letter to NY" project

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
29,152 posts
Gothamist / NYPL "Love letter to NY" project
Save

"All month long, in partnership with the New York Public Library, we'll be delivering a love letter to New York and New Yorkers through photos, essays, and submissions from you. And finally, we'll also be looking back (way back), sharing one NYC-related item from the Library’s sprawling research collections every day in December."

https://gothamist.com/arts-entertainment/dear-nyc-love-letter (info in link)

Today features memorabilia and video of the 1939 Worlds Fair https://gothamist.com/arts-entertainment/the-original-map-of-the-massive-1939-worlds-fair-in-queens

9 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11,556 posts
25 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: Gothamist / NYPL "Love letter to NY" project
Save

Thanks for sharing Kaye.

On my day in Queens I went to the Queens Museum and saw a really interesting exhibition about the two World Trade Fairs held there. It made me laugh to see how much making travel arrangements had changed - booking flights, train trips, hotels, tickets for event and sights.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
178 reviews
56 helpful votes
2. Re: Gothamist / NYPL "Love letter to NY" project
Save

Thanks Kaye, nice to see footage from the 1930s.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
32,379 posts
3. Re: Gothamist / NYPL "Love letter to NY" project
Save

Fantastic share, thank you Kaye

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
29,152 posts
4. Re: Gothamist / NYPL "Love letter to NY" project
Save

https://www.wnyc.org/ is the local NPR radio station that runs Gothamist. You can stream their programming (not sure if it's available internationally)

IMO a good source of NYC (and beyond) discussions and news

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
4,064 posts
20 reviews
50 helpful votes
5. Re: Gothamist / NYPL "Love letter to NY" project
Save

This is great, Kate, thank you. Such a lot of great reading to be had. I have fallen into a rabbit hole for the past hour and there are many more hours of exploring there by following the links. Also the WNYC streaming works just fine here.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
10,150 posts
88 reviews
50 helpful votes
6. Re: Gothamist / NYPL "Love letter to NY" project
Save

There are remnants of the 1939 Fair. The street layout of Flushing Meadows Park is essentially the same and was reused for the second fair to save money. Both fairs failed to provide the expected sums to build a park and the site was cleared of exhibit buildings and planted with grass. The iconic Perisphere was about the diameter of the Unisphere if you include the satellite orbits. The adjoining Trylon was a bit over 600 feet high and would have been a problem for present day LGA planes. Both were built with plaster board exteriors on a steel frame and demolished after the fair. The Queens Museum of Art is in a recycled building from 1939. There are two time capsules buried 50 feet deep in the park. These are supposed to be opened in about 5,000 years if you care to stick around. Gone is the branch of the Queens Blvd. subway that ran along the Van Wyck to a modernistic station just south of the LIE.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
29,152 posts
7. Re: Gothamist / NYPL "Love letter to NY" project
Save

McWhippet - Thanks for the confirmation about the streaming and, hopefully, as rabbit holes go it's a pleasant or at least informative one

Fox - I hadn't realized there was a spur subway line for the fairs. Where did it run? From the Kew Gardens E/F stop? Above ground? Was it a one seat ride?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
29,152 posts
8. Re: Gothamist / NYPL "Love letter to NY" project
Save

OK, so Fox sent me down the subway history rabbit hole https://untappedcities.com/2016/02/18/nycs-lost-worlds-fair-ind-subway-line-of-1939-and-1940/

If I'm understanding it correctly, the spur was demolished and the 7 train station was promoted for going to the 64/65 fair https://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/subway.htm Interesting!

Guessing residential development may have thwarted any spur line redevelopment from Queens Boulevard

Edited: 07 December 2020, 02:30
Fremont, California
Level Contributor
52,570 posts
8,644 reviews
3,824 helpful votes
9. Re: Gothamist / NYPL "Love letter to NY" project
Save

very nice to see. Thanks for sharing.

Reply to: Gothamist / NYPL "Love letter to NY" project
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
USDUSD
Australia
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.