We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel choice

newcastle
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
Hotel choice
Save

Hoping to travel to New York City next October for 6 nights. Couple in our 40s leaving kids at home. We want to stay somewhere which is clean and good value, probably under $350 in total per night. We’ve been once before and stayed at the beacon which we loved, but had the kids with us so needed the space. We’re flexible on location as we haven’t decided exactly what we want to see/where we want to go yet.

I’ve got a cancellable room at the Shelburne for under $1300 for the 6 nights including resort fee and taxes (in a deluxe suite). Should we keep looking or are we unlikely to find anything better value?

Now to get planning....

Best value hotels in New York City
17 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
43,986 posts
1,208 reviews
292 helpful votes
1. Re: Hotel choice
Save

that's a decent price.

To get comps we'd need to know the exact dates, as pricing can vary wildly by day, and how many beds you need (1 or 2), and if there is a neighborhood you prefer to stay in

newcastle
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Hotel choice
Save

Looking at 2nd to 8th October, don’t really have an area preference. We love to walk and explore and would like one bed (king/queen). We might do one day out of the city, potentially cold spring, so being near grand central will be good for that.

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,601 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
3. Re: Hotel choice
Save

The Shelburne is considered a decent hotel, but is the budget option in the Affinia chain in NYC. You've quoted a good price but what is the "deluxe suite"? They don't have a room called that on their website.

It's further east than all of the Midtown sights, including Times Square, but walkable. You also have a few blocks to walk to the nearest subway station (the 6 train only, so you'll be transferring to other trains a lot).

Have you also looked at other Affinia options? The Fifty is a good hotel too.

Also take a look at something like booking.com that shows you all of the available properties and where they're located.

I think it's too early to lock in to one hotel yet. Keep looking, there could be great deals over the next year.

newcastle
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Hotel choice
Save

That was the description of the room I booked, but expect it’s just the suite with a pantry area. I’ll keep an eye out for offers and specials (while crossing fingers for the COVID vaccine).

Thank you

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,601 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
5. Re: Hotel choice
Save

Grand Central Terminal is also walkable (7-8 mins) but within the station it can be confusing with all the different subway lines. It'll take extra time to find them. Good option though for having multiple subway lines handy.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
23 reviews
9 helpful votes
6. Re: Hotel choice
Save

Unless having apartment style with kitchen is important to you, keep looking. Based on my limited looking for myself, there are a large number of more upscale hotels that have rates within your budget, even for premium times like September and October. A number of hotels have reduced prices from what would be typical, even for cancelable rates.

Value is hard to measure because different people have different priorities. Some may love the idea of huge space, while others are more attuned to having luxurious bed linens and beautiful design, or great views,

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
10,150 posts
88 reviews
50 helpful votes
7. Re: Hotel choice
Save

My feeling is that having a kitchen is only useful if you are going to run back to eat. My travel style is to eat near wherever I am at rather then spend the time returning. If the room has a refrigerator, you could purchase something for breakfast unless you needed something big cooked.

newcastle
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Hotel choice
Save

If we’re there for 6 nights it might be good to have take out or pick something up from a deli on a couple of those. However we don’t necessarily need a kitchen for that....I like the idea of a hotel with wine hour, Giraffe and library might also be good options?

US
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
42 reviews
17 helpful votes
9. Re: Hotel choice
Save

I liked the Arthouse on the UWS. Convenient location and there were some good room configurations. We didn’t have, nor want, a kitchen. Note that it does have a “resort” fee so the first glance of rates will ultimately be higher. I believe the Beacon is nearby so you might already know the area. Close to Central Park, lots of shops and restaurants, and subway stops.

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,601 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
10. Re: Hotel choice
Save

Giraffe and Library are more upscale than Shelburne I believe. If you can get a similar room at those at the same rate as Shelburne I’d probably go for one of those.

But still too early to lock anything in. If it’s cancellable that’s good. Keep something for now and keep your eye out for other good deals as well.

Reply to: Hotel choice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
USDUSD
Australia
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.