We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget help

Wellingborough...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Budget help

Hi,

I'm going to be spending some time in NY at the end of the month. 4 Days from 31st Aug to 4th Sept.

I've budgeted about $400 USD for the entire trip. Which covers only the following:

1. Food

2. Tolls

3. Fuel

4. Any sites I visit whilst in Manhattan/Ferry costs over ONE day(I only plan to visit Manhattan ONCE)

Everything else has already been paid(Hotel, Car hire).

I'm not a big eater and would be happy with 1 large meal for each day. Doesn't need to be expensive but obviously I don't want something too cheap and tasteless if that makes sense.

In terms of the car:

1. I will be travelling from EWR to Suffern via Car. Not sure if there are tolls on that route/if can avoid?

2. I will be travelling from Suffern to Liberty State Park for 1 day. I know parking is $6 for all day there.

3. I will be doing most of the other driving around Suffern/New Jersey(7 Lakes Drive) and exploring the surrounding areas.

4. The car that I'm hiring is a Dodge Challenger from Enterprise at EWR airport.. no idea what fuel is like or what the cost is where I'll be..

Any help appreciated?

Thanks

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,245 Reviews
from USD 89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from USD 175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
551 Reviews
from USD 34.00*
18 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget help

Both the NJ turnpike route and the Garden State Parkway route have tolls. This route doesn't: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Newark+Liberty+International+Airport,+3+Brewster+Rd,+Newark,+NJ+07114/Suffern,+New+York+10901/@40.9127666,-74.5344811,10z/am=t/data=!3m1!4b1!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c252e1c5ec0cef:0xb3f3b437c5d7f286!2m2!1d-74.1744624!2d40.6895314!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c2e0bf7a701701:0x69706f156d6f94f!2m2!1d-74.1495889!2d41.1148179!3e0!5i2

Gas is cheaper in New Jersey than it is once you cross into NY in Suffern, and should be just under $3/gallon for regular gas in most places.

With that budget, I think you will be eating a lot of pizza.

Landshut, Germany
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget help

Dont worry about the food. It is super overpriced in NYC and tastes in generell anyway worser then in Europe. Stick to fast food and you'll be good. I know it sounds offending but it is true. Even Chinese Food is ways better in Europe. You pay a leg for something not even delicious . Pizza is also not really good in US. But nothing can beat the burgers and bagels in NYC. Sushi is also ways better AND cheaper in the US. Just my 2 Cents.

Edited: 20 August 2018, 05:25
USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
15,913 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget help

Sometimes the car isn't exactly the one you think it will be, could be in that class.

You'll have tolls on the NJ Turnpike from the airport to 16W, where you can get on Route 3 West and then Route 17 North. That route is direct to Suffern, the NJ Turnpike toll is $3.60. Here is a map:

https://goo.gl/maps/gKe2t8uF8NU2

As far as fuel, yes fill up in NJ. Not only do you get full service, but prices are far cheaper than in NY State. There are numerous gas stations up and down Route 17, particularly a few in Mahwah, NJ, the last town before Suffern. Currenly regular gas is about $2.79 a gallon, but that fluctuates.

One bit of advice, Route 17 can be very congested, particularly in the Paramus area. The day you travel to Liberty State Park, try to avoid rush hour traffic.

Edited: 20 August 2018, 05:39
nyc
Level Contributor
819 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget help

If you're in suffern go to Finks bbq. Huge portions of amazing smoked meats. The corn soufflé is also great.

May be cheaper to drive in and park on the street on the upper west side or all the way east on the upper east side. How much is the bus? Ferry will be more expensive since you have to pay for parking plus ferry fare.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
732 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget help

Daniel, of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I do wonder where you were eating. New York has some of the best food in the world (and I have eaten all over Europe and in Germany as well, where you are from). There are lousy expensive restaurants everywhere, you just have to look a bit for the amazing low-priced ones. I suspect you didn't do your research. Don't scare the OP off, and Adamg, whatever you do, DO NOT eat in fast food places, that food really IS terrible. Check out Ziggy's list and you can't go wrong.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,956 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget help

"Daniel, of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I do wonder where you were eating."

Smoking damages the taste buds.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget help

I’ll give Daniel the benefit of the doubt and assume he’s being sarcastic. Otherwise, his opinion is not based in reality.

Landshut, Germany
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget help

Guys, its just my 2 Cents, as mentioned. Have been eating Pizza Serveral times for example. It has been arround 30 bugs and was quite not so good as you can find it in Italy for example. Then I compare prices (30 USD vs 10 Euro) and you know why I recommend an european to stick to American cuisine (which is truely fine). Same thing with pasta and Chinese Food. Its about the price-performance. Of course you can find really tasty food in NYC, the question is if it is worth paying that much. For us- we will stick to Shake Shack and Sushi. Everything else is in my opionion overpriced compared to Europe. I truely believe tough that you can find very exquisite food in NYC, if you can afford- which is I think Not the case when I look at OP's budget. And of course is American BBQ and steaks something to write Home about-no doubt. But if you Go to mid priced resraurants you might feel disapointed such as we did. And of course here in Germany are awefull Restaurants existing,too. But prices are overall much better and thats why I choose fast food (plus you safe tipping)

Never meant to offend someone guys

New York, New York
Level Contributor
13,792 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget help

I agree with the others, Daniel. Sometimes you have to do some research. Say you had eaten at two or three of the restaurants recommended by Ziggy at www.eatingwithZiggy.com, for example -- you might have had a completely different experience. Even the salad/hot food bars at Whole Foods is superior to the fast food places, and costs about as much. The pasta at EATALY is as good as in Italy. Some of the pizza here is too (Fiorello's across from Lincoln Center -- best thin crust pizza ever, even just the margherita).

This reminds me of the people who say it's impossible to find good food in Venice (Italy). If you stick only to expensive tourist joints and fast food, well, that's going to be your experience.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget help

I'm only offended on your behalf, Daniel. I just think you clearly didn't go to the right places. I've never heard of a $30 pizza in NYC; unless you loaded it up with 15 toppings and then at that point, you're not eating pizza. The chinese food here is vastly superior to what you would get almost anywhere in Europe and prices are much cheaper as well. I'm sorry that you didn't do any research on food in NYC before or during your visit.

Reply to: Budget help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted