We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnighting for a JFK flight

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Topic
Overnighting for a JFK flight

I have an overseas flight in January that leaves JFK at 5:30pm. With possibility of bad weather in winter I will book a flight to arrive mid morning the previous day. Should I stay at a hotel near JFK or stay in an area like Long Island City or similar and take the air train to JFK in the afternoon? I know my time will be limited but I would have the afternoon and morning of the following day to enjoy some of Manhattan. The area around JFK would probably keep me in my room until leaving for my flight. I would like to stay close to an air train link if in the Manhattan area. Would love to stay in Manhattan itself but hotels pretty steep. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,257 Reviews
from USD 89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from USD 175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
552 Reviews
from USD 34.00*
11 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnighting for a JFK flight

Hotel prices in January are usually low. What’s your budget? Anywhere near an A or E subway station will make it easy to get to the AirTrain.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,408 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnighting for a JFK flight

There's nothing around JFK. Stay in Long Island City, near a subway stop, if the Manhattan prices are too high.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,127 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnighting for a JFK flight

We've stayed at the Fairfield Inn JFK several times when we had an early flight and its been fine.

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnighting for a JFK flight

Thanks to all...gives me something to think about. If I stay outside of Manhattan I can find good hotels for about $150. We stayed in Long Island City and it was fine. Otherwise prefer to spend under $250.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,058 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnighting for a JFK flight

The problem near JFK is no hotels are near the subway. In Long Island City, it's hard to find a hotel NOT near the subway. Stay in Long Island City, and know that it will take 50 minutes to get to your terminal's front door from the subway station. Every station in Long Island City has a train that connects to the E train, which connects to the Airtrain. And the trip to someplace like Times Square is 12 minutes.

It is a waste of time to stay near JFK; waiting for some guy to finish his smoke and get out the shuttle van and sit in traffic will probably take the full 50 minutes to the Airport, anyway.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
13,857 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnighting for a JFK flight

#5 said "Every station in Long Island City has a train that connects to the E train." This is not true. The E, R and M go to Queens Plaza. The N, W, and 7 go to Queensboro Plaza. These stations do NOT connect. You have to leave the respective stations to get to the other. The N/W and 7 are on an elevated platform (AFAIK there is no elevator, so you would have to drag luggage up three flights of stairs); the E/M and R are underground about two blocks away.

Edited: 20 August 2018, 16:33
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
4,325 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnighting for a JFK flight

While it’s certainly easier to stay near an E station (or A if you wanted to look in downtown Brooklyn in addition to LIC), it’s also possible to connect to the E from other stations in LIC served by the 7, F, N, whatever. I think that was the point NorthofDC was making, not that the E stops at every station in LIC.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,103 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnighting for a JFK flight

Well I'll disagree on another point or two. It's not hard to find hotels in Long Island City NOT near a subway. There are plenty and they tend to be some of the cheaper ones. So if you decide to stay there, doublecheck subway proximity. In January you don't want to be walking forever. But you should be able to find a GOOD hotel in Manhattan for $150 in Jan. What is the date you need?

New York, New York
Level Contributor
13,857 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnighting for a JFK flight

When someone says "connect" here in regard to subways, they usually mean "transfer without paying another fare". My point is, you cannot "connect" to the E from the N, W or 7 without paying another fare.

Edited: 21 August 2018, 01:39
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,058 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnighting for a JFK flight

You can connect from the 7(Local) at Jackson Heights, by taking an escalator down to the E train. The N and W are a little bit harder, but you connect to the 7 at Queensboro Plaza. And the 7 (local) runs seemingly every couple of minutes. Or the 7 connects at Court Sq easily also. And of course the G and F connect easily.

So I did mean transfer without paying another fare.

L&D, Are we still friends? :^)

Reply to: Overnighting for a JFK flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted