We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paramount Hotel

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paramount Hotel

I have the opportunity to chaperone a school trip to NYC. I really want to go, but the hotel is the Paramount. We will be busy, so not a lot of time in hotel, but the reviews are scaring me! I can handle a small room. Other than small rooms, how bad is it? And if I don't go, should I be concerned that my 14 year old daughter will be there? Thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
132 reviews
from USD 175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,097 reviews
from USD 199.00*
USD 214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
967 reviews
from USD 83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from USD 36.00*
11 replies to this topic
New York, New York
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paramount Hotel

Forgive me, but how can anyone answer your question? NYC has hundreds of hotels. Most have very small rooms compared with other places in the country--small rooms are common in very large cities--unless you are paying hundreds of dollars per night.

It doesn't sound like you'd be comfortable sending your 14-year old alone, so why not join her? You could always make a separate reservation somewhere else and go there for the second night + ff. in case you are unhappy with the room at the Paramount.

Check out www.oyster.com to see room pics from actual travelers.

Edited: 17 December 2017, 13:29
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paramount Hotel

I don’t understand, what is scaring you in the reviews? You said you *can * handle a small room.. so?

I’d go if my daughter were going and I had a chance.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Paramount Hotel

Yelp reviews are awful. Dirty, odors, bad service etc. But I have seen some good ones- don't know what to believe.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
522 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paramount Hotel

There are so many bad reviews that I would tend to believe them. Plus, a number of the good reviews are from reviewers who have posted only one review, so probably some of those reviews are fake reviews that management has posted.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
56,428 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paramount Hotel

TA reviews:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60…

When I see 24% of the reviews as "poor" or "terrible " for a hotel ( or restaurant) it puts It strongly towards a "no go". Too many reviews mention cleanliness issues. And some of the photos are just gross.

Then there are the management responses. Basically saying the same canned response with no real indication of being interested in resolving things.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paramount Hotel

Agree with pos 5 . The travelers photos , not the ones supplied by mgt show what rooms really look like here on TA. The Parmount Hotel travelers photos look really bad . It’s rated so low. Too low to consider imo.

How many nights and when? Can you both stay somewhere else? I recommend changing if possible.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paramount Hotel

Staying on your own, especially if you are meant to be chaperoning a group, might not be an option.

I wonder if the organizers are aware of what type of hotel has been booked and if changes can be made? If it was a group trip booked through an intermediary, it might have been sold as a "good deal" and they might not be aware of the situation. Worth checking out - you might be doing everybody a favor if the plans for the whole group can be changed.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paramount Hotel

1. Do not allow your 14 year-old daughter to go or stay anywhere in NYC without a knowledgeable chaperone.

2. If the choice is between (A) Paramount for daughter with chaperone or (B) no trip, choose A

Next trip, encourage the group to choose a different hotel. There are other "value" hotels suitable for school groups; if the Paramount was a "bargain", there is a reason.

Edited: 17 December 2017, 17:03
Antwerp Province...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paramount Hotel

I have stayed at the Paramount (not my choice at the time, it was also a group booking). Not a great hotel by any standard, but not as terrible as it may seem... By the way, on Tripadvisor more than 50% of reviews are overall 'very good' or 'excellent'. My room was one of the bigger ones and had a view of the street...

I wouldn't worry about it.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paramount Hotel

The expectation of room size has changed over the years both for hotels and private houses. Space for TVs and king size beds was not considered in the early 20th century. My apartment from the 1950s is more spacious than some houses from the 1920s. A newly built hotel is more likely to have "large" rooms than century old ones.

Reply to: Paramount Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted