We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine to take out.

england
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wine to take out.

Hello all,

I’m going to be staying at The Tuscany on 39thst not too far from Grand Central Station in February,can anyone

Suggest the nearest place to grab a bottle of wine to take back to the hotel and the price I would expect to pay. I understand there is a large variety in terms of prices, I’m just talking a basic not too expensive bottle.

Thanks in advance.

Edited: 17 December 2017, 00:18
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from USD 175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from USD 199.00*
USD 214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from USD 83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from USD 36.00*
17 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
869 posts
2,079 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine to take out.

http://www.centralcellars.com/

Located near track 17 in the terminal.

Wide range from $5.00 up.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,660 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine to take out.

For a reasonably priced bottle of wine, I would expect to pay between $9 and $20.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine to take out.

Park Avenue Liquors on Madison Avenue has a wonderful selection and good prices

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,059 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine to take out.

You will probably pay about the same as you pay in England, but in dollars. Note that the big supermarket chains here do not have deals on house wines that you find at places like Tesco, Waitrose, etc. Some of the bigger wine retailers may have arrangements like that but not the supermarkets. I have not been to Park Avenue Liquors but have heard of it. Try to go to a place with a decent selection, especially of American wines, which I imagine it would be nice for you to try. There are some excellent reasonably priced wines from NY state. I just had a case of whites from the NY FInger Lakes shipped to me. Some of these very tasty and highly rated wines cost only around $15 a bottle.

Edited: 17 December 2017, 15:27
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,108 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine to take out.

You won't find any wine in the big (or small) supermarkets in New York State. This is something that is determined by state law and varies state by state.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,059 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine to take out.

It is also easy to get ripped off on wine purchases in the city and pay $15 for a bottle that is worth $5 (or less). If you're not that particular about what you drink that's fine, but keep in mind there is a bit of wine snobbery and gender disrimination here -- someone in an ordinary wine store may try to unload a very ordinary bottle of French wine on you on the assumption as a woman you don't know much about wine and are likely to be impressed with things with French, or maybe Italian, labels.

Some wine stores attach to the bins copies of high ratings/reviews on a particular vintage from well-known wine reviewers, like Robert Parker and WIne Enthusiast. If the salesperson isn't particularly knowledgeable, these reviews can really help guide you to wines more likely to be worth whatever you pay for them, and they do review less expensive wines.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,059 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine to take out.

Actually, some supermarkets, at least in my neighborhood, do carry wine, though not very good wine.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,059 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine to take out.

Also, my point to the OP on supermarket wine had more to do with value for money than with who sells what and what states allow this or that.I wanted to make sure she didn't waste any time even thinking about that, as even in a state where supermarkets sell tons of wine, I have found few deals on decent wine. It is my experience buying wine that certain supermarket chains and discount outlets in the UK have very good prices on some very good wines.Further, it is not unusual to see Tesco's listed as the source for a good $12 wine recommended in a publication like the Financial Times, before a $100 wine sourced at Berry Bros & Rudd.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine to take out.

Supermarkets in NYC do not sell wine.At all. In any neighborhood. They sell wine coolers which are a malt beverage, not wine.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,552 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine to take out.

Supermarkets/groceries are not allowed to sell wine or hard liquor in NYS. The do sell beer, malt beverages (including wine coolers & hard cider, But true wine & liquor sales are confined to liquor stores,

Reply to: Wine to take out.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted