We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving Monday..late questions..

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
81 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving Monday..late questions..

We plan on staying in San Diego a few days then drive up to Irvine and stay in that area. On our drive up, what beach would you recommend for basically taking in some 'wow' cliff views. Solana? We have teens and Id like to show them a premier 'cliffy' beach. Also I have been wrestling with either doing Knotts Berry or Disneyland or even Cal Adventure. We live an hour from DisneyWorld in Florida, and Im hesitating to do Disneyland. Again, 2 teens 14 and 16, and they are into roller coasters, whats best? And getting really off forum topic, coming from I-5 Irvine...whats the best route of attack to Dodger Stadium? Thanks everyone..OOps one more...best day at a beach in SD..Coronado beach?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,638 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving Monday..late questions..

I am sorry tampa, but most of your questions are about Irvine/Orange County attractions. San Diego is 1 hour away from Irvine and about 1 1/2 hours from Disney so you'll get more answers by asking in the Anaheim forum.

Dodger Stadium is even further away in Los Angeles so sorry but you'll get more valuable info on other forums.

As for a "cliffy" place to go during your time here in San Diego OR on you rdrive north, you can go to:

La Jolla Cove which has small rock enclosed beaches with seals and pelicans in their native environment.

Torrey PInes Gliderport(nearby) to watch them take off from the cliffs.There's a cute cafe there where you can get lunch while you watch.

You can also go to Cabrillo National Monument for great views and to explore the tide pools below at low tide.

I don't know where you are staying in San Diego so cannot help more with exact itinerary.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,156 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving Monday..late questions..

The best roller coasters in SoCal are at Magic Mountain if you dont mind driving up there, if you time it right you can make it there from Irvine in a little over an hour to 90 minutes. Knotts has better roller coasters than Disneyland, Ive never been to CA Adventure so I cant comment on it.

To get to Dodger Stadium from Irvine if its a week night game especially you dont want to take 5 all the way up. Take 5 to the 91 west to the 110 North. It may be a few miles longer than just staying on 5 but will save you an hour. There are car pool lanes almost the entire way. On the way back at night you should be ok just staying on the 5 south to Irvine.

Another suggestion would be head to LA early do Hollywood and from there go to the game. Either way avoid 5 all the way up, from the Orange Co line into DT LA its a nightmare almost all day,

Edited: 18 June 2010, 10:35
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
81 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving Monday..late questions..

goodbeer...thanks for that route suggestion. so since 110 is a better route to Dodger Stadium..I was thinking of heading to the Queen Mary in Long Beach and head up from there..would rt 710 to rt 405 to rt 110 be best way from there?

Riffsmom, sorry about posting off forum topic, but I find, as in Goodbeer's case, that their knowledge extends well beyond the local area.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,638 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving Monday..late questions..

Well, glad you were lucky that someone knew the answer to your question.

I was just trying to make sure you got answers. I was not angry that you asked them.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving Monday..late questions..

For "cliff" type beach I suggest you visit Wind n Sea beach in La Jolla. From there you could also head to the Cove and see the seals before heading up to Irvine. Best day for the beach, ANYDAY!

As you live by WDW I agree skip Disneyland. It will feel really small. Give Knotts a try.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving Monday..late questions..

If you want cliffs I can recommend 3 places in San Diego, all in the La Jolla area. The Coast Walk east and north from La Jolla Cove is a dirt path that runs along the cliffs. You can start from La Jolla Cove and follow the sidewalk to Goldfish Point, past the Cave store, then the dirt path begins. You would follow it along the clifftops for some spectacular views of La Jolla Bay. You could also start at the other end of it. For that you would go southbound on Torrey Pines Road into downtown La Jolla, but make a right turn on the street that is called Coast Walk. It is a short street that leads to driveways to several homes, but there are also 2 public parking spaces there. If you're lucky and go at the right time, you will get one of those 2 spaces. Even where you are parked the view is great. You can take the walk along the cliffs and then back to your car. But it requires good luck in getting one of those 2 parking spaces, and it's also kind of a pain to get back onto Torrey Pines Road from that street, as the parade of cars never seems to end and you may have to wait quite a while for a break in the traffic. Someone put a round mirror on the other side of the street to help with seeing the oncoming traffic, but I don't think it helps much.

Another place is Torrey Pines Glider Port. From North Torrey Pines Road, drive west on Torrey Pines Scenic Drive, past the Salk Institute which will be on your left, and park at the glider port. You can drive across the glider port's runway and park in the far parking lot if you want. You can walk to the edge of the cliffs and see a commanding view of the shoreline, Black's Beach far below, and a wide expanse of the ocean. It would be a great place to watch the sunset and if you're really lucky you might see the rare and elusive "green flash" phenomenon.

The third place would be Torrey Pines State Reserve, just north of the Torrey Pines Golf Course. There is a day use fee for parking there ($10). Take North Torrey Pines Road to Torrey Pines Park Road. The very rare Torrey Pines (Pinus Torreyana) trees grow only there and on Santa Rosa Island off the coast of Santa Barbara. So there are some nature lessons to be learned as well as the clifftop views to be enjoyed. There is a visitor center there and various trails you can take. It's a quiet, peaceful park. The Guy Fleming Trail is a relatively short (less than a mile total) dirt trail that is relatively flat and forms a loop that includes some spectacular clifftop views. http://www.torreypine.org/

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving Monday..late questions..

Encinitas has cliff beaches, mostly surf spots, unfortunately other than Moonlight and Swami's I don't know the names of the beaches or the streets to direct you there, only find my way by sight.

BW has listed some great choices. For what you're asking for I think Glider Point and Torrey Pines would be better choices because they're still in their natural state. The path between the Cove and La Jolla Shores is upscale residential with homes cut into the cliff, but it doesn't take much effort to enter from the path by the Cove if you want to take in the view.

All mentioned give you views from the cliff above the beach, if you want a view of the cliffs from the beach you can walk N on La Jolla Shores beach toward Scripps Pier. You might see the parasailors and hang gliders jumping off the cliff or soaring around overhead.

Agree with Goodbeer that Magic Mt has great coasters, but it's further away. Of the ones you mention Knotts Berry has much better thrill rides and coasters than Disneyland, but I haven;t been to Cal Adventure so can't compare. May want to post in the Anaheim forum to ask about Knotts vs Cal Adventure. Have a good trip.

8. Re: Leaving Monday..late questions..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2010, 16:18