We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day in Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
96 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
1 Day in Boston

We're driving in from hotel in Peabody on Saturday for a one-day visit to Boston. I know, not much but hope to come back. For this day, we figured walking the Freedom Trail. Will we have time for anything else? If so, any suggestions? Thanks!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Day in Boston

Not if you're walking the whole Freedom Trail. But you will get to see other Boston sites as you walk through the various areas.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Day in Boston

Yes, you will see a chunk of Boston just by walking the trail. After, you may want to go over to Back Bay and have dinner somewhere as you will not have walked through this area and this way you can at least get a glimpse of it. Walk up Newbury St. and down Commonwealth Ave. or vice versa. Head over to Boylston, maybe go up to the Skywalk on top of the Prudential Building for a bird's eye view of the city.

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
96 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Day in Boston

Oooh, yes. Dinner on the Back Bay sounds terrific. Lovely suggestions! Thank you!

Boston...
Level Contributor
388 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Day in Boston

Actually, I would recommend walking the public garden, then walking over to the Charles River...Newbury Street can be seen in 20 minutes and if shopping is your thing, have at it...if you want to see the beauty of the city, I would spend an hour on the River, a few hours (2-3 doing the freedom trail), a half hour at the public garden and I would have lunch or dinner in the North End. Not in this order...Copley Square is pretty and you can eat near there, but it's a view and a stop, not a big thing. That just my take. I have lived in Boston since 1993 when I attended Northeastern. If you can make the time, I would do a harbor sunset cruise (I recently review one)...but you will need to be there well before sunset to get tix and get on boat. I hope this helps.

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
96 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Day in Boston

Thanks, Troy. Shopping isn't our thing but lovely views and experientials are!

CT
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Day in Boston

Personally, I recommend parking somewhere in the Back Bay near Hynes or Kenmore stop on the Green Line of the T (Kenmore is near Fenway, Hynes is near Berklee/Prudential Center/Newbury Street), then a rough route of walking down Commonwealth Ave, Newbury Street, and Boylston Street (all run parallel to each other and you can switch between them every block or so if you'd like) all the way to the Gardens, going through the Gardens and Boston Common into Downtown Crossing and Theater District Area, then cut North over to Quincy Market, with a final stop in the North End for dinner. Afterwards, simply take the Green Line of the T from Haymarket or Government Center back to Hynes or Kenmore stop and back to the car.

It's a few miles of walking total, but the T will cut your walk in half since you won't have to walk almost any of the trip back. This route, if you like walking, will allow you to see the majority of the best parts of the city, in my opinion. It's tough to fit all of the good stuff in Boston in on just one day, but that gets you to a lot of it without actually knowing the city too well.

Good luck and enjoy!

7. Re: 1 Day in Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 12:17