We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston public transportation.

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,572 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Boston public transportation.

We'll be staying with a friend in Somerville. We'll be taking public transportation around Boston. Where do we find info on taking subway and buses? TIA.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston public transportation.

Mbta.com

Massport.com

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,572 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston public transportation.

What would be the best option for us for a 3 days stay (arriving 5/30 afternoon and leaving 6/2 afternoon)? Should be just use the Charlie card or get a 7 day link pass?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston public transportation.

It depends. The weekly pass is $15 right now and each trip $2. So if you're coming in every day and plan even a few other uses, the weekly is the right choice. Plus you can then take a. Trip or two on the inner Harbor ferry.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston public transportation.

Hey ThanksSocialSecurity! I've seen you on the China forum. Welcome to my home town. The answer to your question depends on where you plan to go and how you like to get around. To make the weekly pass worthwhile, you'd need to take at least 8 trips over three days. It might also depend somewhat on the weather. Boston is very walkable, and walking is a pleasant way to get around as long as it's not raining (or snowing). So you might only need one trip into town and one trip out each day. Once in town, you can walk between most of the sights. There are lots of scenic and interesting walks to take between sights. This is only if you don't mind walking several miles every day. On the other hand, if you don't like long walks, or if you plan to visit more far-flung destinations, such as Harvard Square or the Kennedy Library, then you might take 8 or more trips in 3 days.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,572 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston public transportation.

Thanks to both and hi Mark. We've been to Boston several times, although the last time was several years ago. This time we'll be with some friends so we'll be doing the walking again. I think we'll get the 7 days just to not have to worry about how much is left on the card. One time we were in London and I got on the bus but my wife's card did not have enough money. So we ended up wasting time and money.

Is the Charlie card available at Logan?

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston public transportation.

You can also use Google Maps and set it for public transit directions, the MBTA system is incorporated into it and it gives accurate instructions.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston public transportation.

Yes, you can buy the Charlie card at Logan. Each terminal has at least one station. They are easily found and are usually near the massport info desk.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston public transportation.

The weekly pass comes on a paper ticket - not a Charlie Card. You can use any of the machines at any subway station or the ones at the Airport.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston public transportation.

The machines break down the info very well. If any questions, the massport info desk will help you.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,572 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston public transportation.

Again thanks.